Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

This is for a physician: I am a 66 year old female with

This is for a physician:

I am a 66 year old female with
Type II diabetes. Three weeks ago I was put on insulin injections (28 units in a.m. and 28 units in p.m. Also, I have severe scoliosis of the spine. An MRI two years ago showed that I also have arthritis in my spine as well as some disk problems.

I recently strained my right hip. My doctor prescribed Meloxicam which did not help with the pain at all. He then had an x-ray taken which indicated that I also had arthritis in that area. I have been tested for rheumatic arthritis (results were negative).
He has ordered lumbar radiothopathy for my lower spine (BUN 72148) and for my right hip (BUN 73721). He also ordered a cvprofiler for the hip area and a molecular DNA test for the spine.

These are my questions: What is a cvprofiler and what will it tell us? Why do a molecular DNA test at all; what kind of answers will we get from that? Also, he wants me to do the MRI in a closed machine rather than an open one. He says that the closed machines are more accurate; is this true?

One more question in an unrelated area. I have a friend who had a double mastectomy two years ago due to breast cancer. She had no chemotherapy or radiation. She now has constant hot flashes (and I mean really constant, no relief at all) and pours sweat. M.D. Anderson will not allow her to take hormones. First, is this constant sweating a normal reaction to this kind of surgery? She is 50 years old and has had a partial hysterectomy (she still has her ovaries). Second, are there any homeopathic remedies that she might try?

I apologize for any misspellings; my doctor's handwriting is hard to read. And he is in a perpetual hurry or I would have asked him these questions if he had given me the time to think of them.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Linda
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 10 months ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about these problems

Dr Brims :

The CV profiler will check the blood supply and vascular health in the area

Dr Brims :

This means the doctor is trying to assess the blood supply in your hip region

Dr Brims :

Poor blood supply to the hip may lead to arthritis

Dr Brims :

The DNA test for your spine is to detect if you may have something like HLA B@& which would predispose you to ankylosing spondylitis , which causes stiffness and arthritis in the spine

Dr Brims :

Your physician is correct, the closed MRI gives more accurate and better results than an open MRI

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Are you able to see my replies in the chat session?
Sorry, it seems you were unable to see my replies above?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Brims: Thank you very much for replying. I am consistently amazed by the courtesy and promptness of the answers on this website.

Could you please respond to the last part of my e-mail about the hot flashes my friend is enduring? Apart from the physical aspects of the situation, she is frequently embarrassed by the deluge of sweat. It appears to be more than the usual "hot flash" condition since it is constant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Could you please respond to the last part of my e-mail about the hot flashes my friend is enduring? Apart from the physical aspects of the situation, she is frequently embarrassed by the deluge of sweat. It appears to be more than the usual "hot flash" condition since it is constant. Thank you. Linda

You say the hot flashes are constant or they come and go?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Brim:

No, they don't come and go. As I've said, they are constant. The heat and the sweat are always with her. Sometimes it gets worse because of our Texas heat and humidity, but the condition is perpetual. She's miserable and confused because this condition has become part of her life since her breast surgery.

Linda

This is not a normal reaction to mastectomy. I think this may be a hormonal reaction, she may have increased output of thyroid hormones causing her hot flashes, another possibility is there could be inflammation in her body causing this. I would recommend she have a test call a c-reactive protein, and another test called thyroid stimulating hormone , this will help evaluate her