911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have recurrent UTIs, normally caused by E-coli. I have adverse

I have recurrent UTIs, normally caused by E-coli. I have adverse reactions to most antibiotics which makes it difficult for me to finish an entire prescribed dosage of anything. Now, I'm back on Omnicef, or rather the generic form, and I am wondering if I could take only one 300 mg. capsule one time daily rather than one twice a day. This stuff causes havoc with my stomach even by following the recommended foods to eat or not eat while taking it. The colony count for this E-coli was over 100,000 so your suggestion would very much be appreciated. I am 66 years old if that makes a difference. Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

Ma'am

911Doctor :

two things

911Doctor :

you need to take your medicine as directed

911Doctor :

the reason is to get the concentration of the antibiotic high enough to kill the bacteria and cure your infection

911Doctor :

second thing

911Doctor :

if you have not seen a urologist to determine why you get recurrent UTIs you should... there may be a structural cause for this that can be fixed and then you would not need the antibiotics

911Doctor :

examples would be a dysfunctional bladder or even a small stone in the kidney

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see my urologist every 6 months or sooner if need be. I have had a CT scan to rule out kidney stones and a probe which indicates an inflamed bladder. I am on an Estrace regimen twice weekly to help with this condition but I continue to get UTIs. My problem is taking antibiotics and have been given smaller doses to take for an extended period of time past the usual 5-10 days. I was hoping I could take the Omnicef only one time a day for a longer period of time and I assume you have answered that question for me. Thank you.

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you are getting good care. I am sorry you have this problem. I simply can't advise taking smaller doses or less frequent doses. The danger is that you won't fully clear the infection and that the surviving bacteria will be resistant to the drug and that you could get very sick indeed by doing this. I would certainly advise speaking with your prescribing physician as injections or IV antibiotics might be a good alternative for you.

Be well
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician