Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have been experiencing lower back pain for 2 years now.

I have been experiencing lower back pain for 2 years now. I have had x-rays and an MRI which both show that my spine is in pretty good shape minus some arthritis. A spine specialist I went to said there is some mild nerve degeneration in the lower spine. I have been prescribed 3 - 300mg Gabapentin capsules per day and 1 5/500mg hydrocodone per day. This is doing nothing. I take the hydrocodone at night just so I can get a few hours of sleep. The pain is affecting my job, my time with my kids and husband, and my overall quality of life. My doctor's last suggestion was prayer which I was already doing. So I am wondering where I should go from here? Your help is appreciated!

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this pain

Dr Brims :

In this situation, I would recommend you try a drug called lyrica

Dr Brims :

It is often helpful in situations like this

Customer:

Is that different than the Gabapentin?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it is different from gabapentin

Dr Brims :

Gabapentin is also called neurontin, and it may help also, but since you state it is not helping at all, it would be wirse to try neurontin

Dr Brims :

Sorry, I mean try lyrica

Customer:

Would Lyrica be the same as Cymbalta? I'm going through in my mind all of the temporary meds my doctor has tried.

Dr Brims :

No, cymbalta is another drug completely

Customer:

Ok. Is this something I should be able to request from my regular doctor fairly easily? I assume this is non-addictive.

Dr Brims :

Yes, you may request it easily, it is non- addictive and non- habit forming

Customer:

Wonderful! Thank you!