Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I have been having ongoing pain throughout my body for months

I have been having ongoing pain throughout my body for months now. Doctors have done a bunch of blood tests and have also done cat scans, etc. I'm starting to worry though that I may have a circulation problem or something... My veins are very visible, my legs are constantly hurting me and sometimes look discolored, like purple or red and blotchy. It's starting to hurt to walk, and I don't know what to do.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

What kind of blood tests have they done?

The pain is more in the legs, especially when you walk right?

Since how long?

Whats your doctors opinion in this regards?

Did they perform CT of brain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had the following tests done (sorry if I spell them wrong)

CBC, BMP, SED, CK, Liver Enzymes, Lipase, T4

I have had two CT scans of my brain, and they were fine.

My doctors opinion is that she has ignored my attempts to explain to her about my legs, and told me I may have fibromyalgia. Would that cause my ankles to be a different color than the rest of my legs? Or them to be swollen along with my feet? The pain is when I am sitting, but also when walking. I also have pain in my arms where the veins are also highly visible.

Today, it feels like there is water trickling up my leg if that makes sense to my groin..

Thank you very much for the useful information Nikki.

Yes, fibromyalgia should not give you discoloration of the legs/ankle but we are not sure whether this discoloration is part of the ongoing pain/disease or not.

Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion which means all other possible causes need to be ruled out before attributing this pain to fibro.

I can see that your doctor has rightly ordered most of the tests required, but i was wondering if this is due to vitamin D deficiency.

Its very common, especially amongst females, and a simple blood test can diagnose this problem. If found to be low, appropriate replacement with vitamin D should solve the problem.

For the pain in legs, a doppler ultrasound will help identify any circulation issue to the legs (due to clot/cholesterol build up in the arteries), which typically give color changes/pain whenever you walk or exercise.

So this is another possibility that needs to be ruled out.

Having said that, if these tests also turn out to be normal, then this could be fibromyalgia and in that case you should begin the treatment for fibro, which must show improvement in your symptoms to great extent with in 4 weeks.

Right now, keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Rest and little exercise might help (if tolerable).

And get back to your doctor discussing the details i have mentioned to get further management plan chalked out.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.