A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Have you ever give a physical to a male patient.

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Every practitioner has examined both males and females. Do you have a particular concern I can help you with?

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I went to a nurse practioner to get a physical and check up. I haven't had a check up or physical in a long time. I explained to her that I had some concerns with my penis and testicles. She never examined either one.

Oh dear, that is just plain wrong, compounded by the fact that you mentioned concerns about your genitals.

Any male physical would include examination of the penis and testicles to make sure both were healthy. This is just standard of care. I'm sorry your examination wasn't thorough.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I explained that my testicals have been having some pain and my penis looks like it is shrinking or going back up in me.

You certainly should have been examined. Have you discussed the lack of a proper exam with the practice manager? That would be the first step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you explain to me where I will know, what do y'all look for when examining the penis and testicles and what y'all do?

How would you like a quick overview from the medical education library? It gives a far more comprehensive explanation than I can type and has pictures to help follow along? http://meded.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/genital.htm

Basically we are checking for abnormalities, infections, growths, nodules, tumors, hernias, etc. Finding any one of these may require a more complete examination or referral to a specialist such as a urologist or surgeon if it is a hernia.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My friends have warned me about getting an erection during this. Is this normal and what do I do if this happens besides wanting to crawl under a rock

LOL. Think nothing of it. It happens with boys as young as 11 and guys as old as 80. No female NP worth her salt is going to be bothered by it. Try doing physicals on a college football team. If you even bother to count, the majority will get an erection. Not to worry. It's just Mother Nature having her little joke on all us Puritans

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I find out if my penis is average or what. Can I find that out at a physical

Average is just that. Some are larger and some are shorter, as you could see from the pictures in the link. They also don't erect proportionally to their relaxed size. Average flaccid is about 3.5 inches. Erect is about 5.5 inches. But again, those are just averages. If the ladies aren't complaining, you are fine.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well mine stays in like a nub on soft. It don't hang like most guys does. Is this going to effect my penis exam

Nothing is going to affect the examination. The provider will examine whatever he or she finds there. If you have been having pain, you do need to be examined though. Most pains are not serious, but you still need to find out for sure.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just don't want to embarrass my self because I am small

No need to be embarrassed at all. Believe me, we've seen it all.

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why does my penis not hang on soft and retracts in a shell but gets 6 inches when hard

That may just be the way you are built. There are lots of variations of what is "normal" and that may be normal for you. The important thing it that you function, and it sounds like you have no problems in that area.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ