Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

My daughter had a sudden onset illness 5 weeks ago that took

My daughter had a sudden onset illness 5 weeks ago that took us to 2 hospitals, admitted and treated for bacterial pneumonia. During this illness there were some markers that seemed odd. We were told that she had agglutinin and her blood work had to be redone? She seemed to recover fine. Today she again had a sudden attack(no previous symptoms) at school with extremely high fever, centralized chest pain and overall malaise. Went to emerg., although they found blood in the urine they said this could happen, left lung was blurry/cloudy but not pneumonia, they said blood work was all normal and they said she has a virus. I requested a copy of blood work. This is what it showed: wbc: 10.5, rbc: 4 Hgb: 126 Hct: .35 Neut%: .8 Lymph: .12 Neut#: 8 Lymph#: 1.2 I know all these things are part of the wbc and are either on the top end of normal or the bottom end of normal. Should I be seeking a second opinion? (side note: she has had several nose bleeds and has at least a dozen bruises of varying sizes all over the body)
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Did they take blood cultures?

Dr Brims :

Does she have any discomfort with urination?

Customer:

Thank you. No problems with urination. 5 weeks ago when we went to emerg. they first diagnosed her with kidney infection because of blood in urine and high wbc. They eventually ruled this out and diagnosed her with bacterial pneumonia and said it went septic? today they did bloodwork and the numbers I posted were the only numbers that were either high or low.

Dr Brims :

Okay, so they did not do blood cultures or they have not come back? They take 48 hours to return

Customer:

I will also tell you that in her almost 11 years she has never required any medical assistance. Our family doctor just reintroduced himself from when she was immunized. SO healthy until 5 weeks ago.

Customer:

no blood cultures as far as I'm aware

Customer:

they were pretty content to say that she had a virus and is still recovering from the previous pneumonia. I should tell you about her xrays....

Dr Brims :

Okay, I would advise she have blood cultures, if her doctor does not want to order it then you should seek another opinion

Customer:

when I questioned the dr. about blood in the urine, he said this could happen??? I then asked about the high temp. and chest pain. He took me to look at the xrays. He showed me an 'old' xray of Brooks lungs that looked healthy and normal then showed me todays being cloudy and said that was evidence of the previous condition and it still heal

Customer:

healing....

Dr Brims :

Okay

Customer:

What he didn't know was that the healthy xray was taken only 2 days after her release from a different hospital.... He thought he was showing me that todays xray was just left over from the pneumonia, not realizing that the other xray he was contrasting it with was actually the sick one. He didn't know what to say. He seemed to get defensive and said that 'nobody would diagnose that (todays xray) as being pneumonia"

Customer:

I'm not looking for a diagnosis of pneumonia...but a reasonable explanation. Could the cloudiness be inflammation?

Dr Brims :

The cloudiness is a sign of inflammation in the lungs, pneumonia could be viral or bacterial in origin

Customer:

the left lung was definitely more cloudy than the right. It would seem that one was clear and the other cloudy? What other things can cause inflammation in the lungs? Seemingly Suddenly? She was fine last night, fine this morning, ate breakfast, went to school and then got very sick...fever of 104.

Dr Brims :

A virus, a fungus or a bacteria can cause inflammation in the lungs

Customer:

so this could be a virus then....just seems curious to happen again so close to this last illness? What does blood in the urine mean? The only reason I even know about this is because the nurse asked if she had her period. She is only 10 and hasn't started to menstruate.

Dr Brims :

Blood in her urine may be a sign of a urinary tract infection, it may occur in pneumonia, or i may be a sign of kidney damage

Customer:

what about leukemia?

Dr Brims :

A urine culture and blood tests would determine if any of these are present

Dr Brims :

blood in urine is not a key sign of leukemia

Customer:

good to know. thank you.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me by starting the question with "Dr Brims"

Customer:

with the wbc, being slightly elevated and other numbers out of whack a bit, would you suspect the beginning of an infection, either viral or bacterial?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it could be the beginning of an infection, or the end of an infection

Customer:

thank you Dr. Brims. Have a good night.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

Same to you

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience