Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

- Im 43 and not had a period for 3 months.I have extreme stress

Customer Question

- Im 43 and not had a period for 3 months.I have extreme stress over last 4 years when husband sufferred RTC resulting in significant brain injury and is still in neuro rehab with behavioural problems.I have been trying to raise 7 children alone the youngest being twins of only 14 months at the time ,and hold down a fulltime senior nursing job in acute nephrology. Around the time of my last period I had increased stress with my 14 yr old taking paracetamol OD , my 10 yr old left to go to boarding school after winning a music scholarship and my husbands estranged family attacked me verbally and went on with absurd accusations pertaining to me witholding his benefits and fradulently claiming benefits for him(all not true) but caused so much distress to me and my children.I also have on going financial worries due to the loss of his income- he had no accident insurance or anything like that.
I have had no period for 4 months - I waited until I had some hot flushes before seeing my GP.
My blood work showed low oestrogen, very low prolactin( i stopped breastfeeding my twins only in September and continued to produce milk until January) an FSH of 52 and my GP told me on the phone that I was entering menopause.I was not ready for this as my mother was 55 and grandmnothers 55 and 54. Since then I am feeling really unwell - palpatations , anxiety, lump in throat,horrible temper and intolerant of my children when this is not my personality - I am very easy going and can cope with extreme pressure.I am worried something may have been missed as I had regular periods until this point and I wonder if it is normal in the menopause to drop prolactin levels significantly or is this some sort of problem with the hypothalamus dysfunctioning?
I tried hard to eat sensibly but in reality a coffee and a chocolate is pretty much all I eat at work and perhaps a main meal at night , but not always.I exercise 4 times a week and took up ice skating one night a week to try and fit in some 'me' time
I am wondering if its not menopause what could it be , and if it is would that be my last period and how soon can I start HRT as I am feeling really awful right now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about these problems

Customer:

Thank you

Dr Brims :

These symptoms may be due to menopause, and you may start HRT right away if the symptoms are severe

Dr Brims :

Some of these symptoms could also be due to an increase in your thyroid hormone output, called hyperthyroidism

Customer:

good , isnt it a bit early considering my mum entered menopause at 55?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it is early, but some women experience premature or early menopause

Customer:

I have lost weight , but I wanted to lose weight really - about a stone maybe

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

this abruptly?

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry, I am not sure what you are asking in your last reply, would you mind clarifying your question?

Customer:

ok - im having more blood tests.Should I ask for TSH levels as well - what about cortisol? or is it definitely not due to stress with low oestrogen?

Customer:

my last question was the abrupt cessation of my periods

Dr Brims :

Yes, you should ask for TSH levels

Dr Brims :

I doubt cortisol is the culprit

Customer:

Ok thank you-

Dr Brims :

It usually does not occur this abruptly, but sometimes it can

Customer:

but did you say I can start HRT straight away?

Customer:

it wouldnt mask any other condition?

Dr Brims :

You can start HRT once other conditions have been ruled out

Dr Brims :

It would not mask any other condition

Customer:

im being impatient i know - i just feel rotten

Dr Brims :

I understand

Customer:

ok - thank you so possibly thyoid but probably menopause,could it have come early due to the last 4 years of stress?#

Dr Brims :

Stress is not a factor in early menopause

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

ok - seems really unusual

Dr Brims :

Yes, but it does occur, even in women under 40

Customer:

ok well thank you for your time I guess i just need some HRT - im worried about my bone density , cardiac disease etc etc

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer:

do you think with low oestrogen and FSH levels of 52 that woudl be my last period?

Customer:

oh - and what is the low prolactin all about?

Dr Brims :

It is impossible to determine when your last period will be, but you are likely close to it

Customer:

wow thats a shock - and the low prolactin?

Dr Brims :

That may be due to anterior pituitary dysfunction

Customer:

hmm but the menopause thing is separate and this is a conicidence? its very odd since I was breastfeeding until September and still producing milk until january

Customer:

could it all be pituitary dysfunction?

Customer:

and if it is I guess it would be HRT anyways?

Dr Brims :

The anterior pituitary ma have been damaged after you gave birth, but it usually recovers with time

Dr Brims :

It could be anterior pituitary dysfunction, only more tests will help determine that

Dr Brims :

It may still require HRT

Customer:

ok - thank you .If my anterior pituitary was damaged after I gave birth Id have thought that I wouldnt be able to breastfeed but I had a huge amount of milk and BF my twins until they were 4 years old.

Customer:

its a mystery

Customer:

Thank you for your time , I guess I just have to get my bloods done and see what happens from there

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions on this topic please feel free to ask

Customer:

Thank you - you've been very helpful

Dr Brims :

I'm happy I could help

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove my question from public view I thought this was confidential

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
No personal information is visible, don't worry