Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am experience fullness in the abdominal area following a

I am experience fullness in the abdominal area following a HUGE bowel movemen. I used warm prune juice last night and got the results this morning. I had not had a bowel movement since Sunday. but I am feeling full still. I am on meny medictions as I recently had a congestive heart failue so taking feuisomide, amelpidine, senakot, dapsone, aspirint, Vitamint D, a Thyroid pill (lev...) Inez x. xxxxx

Inez--are your bowel movements usually normal and regular and when did you last have colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not had a colonoscopy for several years. Because of my age and no problems, my doctor did not encourage me to do so.

My bowel movements since my heart failure on 2/29/13 (in hospital for three days--on home health for eight weeks) have been almost every day. Prior to that usually good ones three or four times a week.

hope this helps. Inez L. harris

OK--what exactly do you mean by feeling full? Any pain or nausea?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No oain, just discomfort. no nausea.

Sorry for asking questions but I'm not sure what you mean by discomfort? Is it as though you fell like you need another bowel movement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really. Just full, maybe a bit of bloating. Inez. L. Harris

OK. In general, after a bout of constipation like that it isn't unusual to feel somewhat bloated and you may still have a sizable amount of gas yet to pass. For now I suggest you see how you feel over the next day but you should let your doctor know about this since any change in bowel movements at your age should be evaluated--if not by colonoscopy, then at least by a barium enema or a ct scan of the abdomen with contrast to rule out cancer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really wanted more info. As to what I could do to get rid of the bloating if that is what it is. I had hoped to avoid another doctor appt. with a more satisfying answer from you. should I take more prune juice and keep on with my senakot, etc. Inez L. harris

OK--for now you can take some Mylanta since that should help with the bloating. You don't need anything like a laxative--even prune juice--and you don't need the Senokot until this resolves. That said, you should at least call your doctor and let him know about this.