Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

For ten years or more I have had abdominal discomfort on my

For ten years or more I have had abdominal discomfort on my right side. I have had CT scans, ultrasounds, etc. Only thing revealed was echogenic liver in August of 2012. All of my bloodwork (including liver enzymes)has always been normal. Last ultrasound was August 2012; last bloodwork was this month. I am beginning to think that my discomfort might be attributed to one of three things: scars or damaged nerve tissue from emergency hysterectomy 11 years ago, or maybe related to my chronic lower/middle back issues, or excess abdominal fat. Any input?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry hear about

Dr Brims :

this

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this*

Dr Brims :

Have you had an MRI

Dr Brims :

Also, where in your abdomen is the pain, is it constant?

Any weight loss, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea?

Dr Brims :

AnyAny fevers or chills?

Dr Brims :

Any*

Customer:

My PCP has been monitoring me and said that at this point maybe try physical therapy. I also saw my GI dr and cardiologist. None have recommended any further testing. It is NOT painful; just a dull discomfort that comes and goes. No weight loss, no nausea, no vomitting, no diarrhea, no fever, no chills.

Dr Brims :

ok

Dr Brims :

What about an MRI?

Customer:

I have lost 41 pounds since last August and it has subsided a bit. I have about 30 pounds to go. And no, I have had CT scans and ultrasounds of the abdomen. I had an MRI of my lower back about 6 years ago that showed disc degeneration, bulging discs, and a herniated disc. I never had an abdominal MRI.

Dr Brims :

Okay, then I would assume the pain is likely from scar tissue and/or adhesions from previous surgery, and these may not be picked up on CT scans

Customer:

What would you recommend the MRI for? As I mentioned before this discomfort has been present for a while. Could the hysterectomy 11 years ago somehow damaged my abdominal wall? I am just so tired of living with it. Should I be concerned?

Dr Brims :

I don't think you should be concerned since the CT scan was negative, I would recommend an MRI because it is more sensitive than a CT scan and is better at detecting soft tissue

Customer:

The last CT scan was two years ago. Is that still relevant? The fact that I have echogenicity of the liver is not a factor in your opinion? As I said before, because I started a statin in January I have been closely monitored with bloodwork every three months..

Dr Brims :

The last CT scan is relevant if you had the discomfort before that test

Dr Brims :

The echogenic liver is not a factor in my opinion

Customer:

Are you saying that An MRI could pick up soft tissue damage? Im sorry for the questions. Im just frustrated.

Dr Brims :

The MRI will pick up more soft tissue abnomalities

Customer:

At this point, your professional opinion would be not to worry and perhaps attribute the discomfort to some tissue damage....Is that what you mean by abnormailty?

Dr Brims :

Yes, I don't think you should worry and I think it is likely a soft tissue abnormality

Customer:

Thank you for your time and patience. I appreciate it.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have questions in the future you may request me by name in the question

Customer:

Ok thank you. I will be sure to.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience