Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I recently had the sensation of food getting stuck in my esophagus.

I recently had the sensation of food getting stuck in my esophagus. It was a piece of fried chicken, which made me gasp for air and enter a small phase of anxiety and panic attack. I took Tums and Milk of Magnesia, however, the sensation would not go away. At about 3 in the morning, I had no choice but to call 911. They send the paramedics over and immediately they started giving me oxygen. They then took me to the emergency room and started IV treatment, along with aspirin which they said would make the oxygen in my system flow better. After a few hours, the Milk of Magnesia kicked in and I passed everything out. I was then sent home and thought all was well.

The next day, however, I started feeling short of breath. This was on Saturday morning, and immediately I made an appointment to go see a Gastroenterologist. After a check up, the doctor said I had an anxiety disorder. This was shocking to me as I never had this issue in my life in the past. He prescribed Zoloft and said I would be fine. I did have a bout with gastritis several years ago, and was successfully treated by another G.I. with Prevacid. I thought it would be better to go see him again. At first, he said my colon was pressing on the top of my stomach, which was causing me to retain air bubbles. He then scheduled an endoscopy, and everything came back fine. My blood work, EKG, and chest x-ray also came back fine when I was at the emergency room.

My G.I., however, did suspect that I may have Eosinophilic Esophagitis. He took a biopsy of the esophagus and I am still waiting for the result. In the meantime, I was prescribed Protonix at the emergency room, and my G.I. gave me Xanax to calm my nerves and help restore my shortness my breath. While I no longer feel like food is getting stuck in my esophagus--I get gas, bloating, inability to burp or pass wind, and constipation on a nightly basis. In the daytime I am fine, and drink plenty of water. After the nightly meal, this happens and has been happening for several days now. I end up taking Gas-x or Tums, however, they don't seem to work the way they used to. I then have to take Milk of Magnesia to pass motion in the morning. Not sure what is wrong with me or what I can do. 2-3 doctors told me this was stress and anxiety related, but I refuse to take Xanax anymore due to the side effects. On my endoscopy report, it also says that I may have either EOE or NERD, along with colon distention and IBS. Is there anything I can do to get back to normal? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Are you overweight?

Do you have sleeping problems?

Late night work and eating?

Alcohol and smoking history?

Have you undergone colonoscopy so far?

Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Kumar,

Yes, I am overweight. I am 5' 10" and weigh 253 lbs. I was, however, 261 lbs. before this incident occurred on (F). 06-07-13. For some reason, my appetite has decreased. I am also feeling fuller after two small meals per day. While the day meal is fine, the night meal is the one that gives me gas, bloating, discomfort, inability to burp or pass wind, and constipation. Due to my work, I have to spend late nights on projects for clients. Before this incident, I still only ate around 2 meals per day, but they were bigger meals and I always used to go to the bathroom for motion without problems. I drink a lot of water daily as well (almost 3-5 Ozarka bottles - 16.9 fl oz).

I quit smoking back in 2000-2001. I also recently gave up drinking (red wine, beer, vodka). I used to drink moderately, then started drinking almost everyday for the last 4-5 months. I have been under a lot of stress due to work and financial related issues. My mother is also recovering from Uterus cancer as well, and it has been incredibly hectic for me. I never had a colonoscopy done. I only had 2 endoscopies done (one last Thursday and one almost 8-9 years ago).

I've had no other medical issues.

Thanks for providing more information.

Firstly your symptoms are just caused due to improper diet and lifestyle.

And you need to take some dietary and lifestyle modifications which may include

Eat fibre rich diet and take metamucil on regular basis.

Also start probiotics.

Continue GAS X rather than frequent use of Milk of Magnesia.

Do regular exercises like walking,jogging,swimming etc 5 days a week.

You should do deep breathing exercises and meditation to relieve stress due to work and financial related issues.

You should also take short breaks of rest while doing work.

Bloating,constipation,flatulence can be associated with Irritable Bowel syndrome(IBS) which is a functional disorder.

Eat night time meals at 8 pm and avoid late night eating and work.

Take a walk for 10-20 minutes after night time meals.

I understand your current job profile and work and mother's health related stress.

However you need to keep yourself motivated as everyone has up's and down's in their life.

You should continue Xanax-antianxiety medications for a while.

And you should ask your doctor for other medications like H-2-receptor blockers
Prokinetics.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult your Gastroenterologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dr. Kumar. I will definitely take your advice and hopefully I will be back to normal again. Many thanks for all your hard work helping people like myself who are facing these health issues and ailments. Take care.

You are most welcome.

Whenever you have any health related problem you can ask me in future anytime.

It's my privilege to help you in every aspect.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.