Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Dr. Chip, I had an MRI of the lumbar spine. There is moderate

Dr. Chip, I had an MRI of the lumbar spine. There is moderate compression of the thecal sac. Does this mean the nerve is compressed? My doctor asked if I had symptoms of compression of the nerve, and I do.
Hi--can you give me the full MRI report?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sagittal and acial images of the lumbar spine show degenerative disk dessication at the L4-5 and the L5-S-1 levels. Degenerative changes are at the apophyseal joints of the mid and lower lumbar spine.

Annular bulging and ligamentum flavum thickening result in a moderate degree of degenerative concentric thecal sac compression at the L4-L5 level. A small disk protrusion with a posterior annular tear minimally compresses the anterior surface of the thecal sac at the L5-S1 level. Mild degenerative stenosis is at the L4-5 and the L5-S1 intervertebral nerve root canals bilaterally.

Cat Scan shows lower lumbar spondylosis. earlier in 2011.

X-ray of thoracic spine "compressive changes of the mid thoracic spine at approximately T9, T8, T7 levels with possible involvement of T5 as well. The patient does have underlying thoracolumbar scoliosis. impression multilevel compression fractures, thoracic spine.

I have to look for MRI of the thoracic spine tomorrow, but this is what I can find now.

That's fine--are you having pain and/or numbness in your legs and how are your bowel and bladder functions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, numbness and have some problems with incontinence, although not severe.

OK--no, it isn't a nerve that's being compressed, it's your spinal cord at the L4-5 level. And that's what's causing both the leg problems and the incontinence. At this point, if you haven't as yet, you need to have a surgical evaluation since unless that compression area is decompressed it could get worse with time and your symptoms would also worsen.