A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

Looks like I had a stone that I urinated out and had some blood

Looks like I had a stone that I urinated out and had some blood with that.

Went to urologist.

I'm going to have a cystoscopy.

I have sleep apnea.

I will receive anesthesia - propofol...there will be an anesthesiologist there.

Question: I'm concerned about going under anasthesia and having sleep apnea; Should i be concerned about this? What happens if i have apnea episodes, will the anaethesiologist realize i'm having apneas; will he/she do anything to prevent me from having sleep apneas?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will help you.

You should definitely discuss your apnea with your anesthesiologist when they meet with you prior to the procedure. You will be monitored constantly from beginning to end of the procedure. If there is an episode of apnea the anesthesiologist will respond instantly so that you will continue to breathe. That is their job. In recovery you will also be monitored constantly by the nurses who will also respond if there is any problem.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i don't understand how it's all going to work.

let's say i am under for 10-15 min.

and in minute 2 i have a 20 second sleep apnea attack;

do they just let the apnea occur

No, when you stop breathing on your own they will intubate and provide artificial ventilation for you. It takes only a second. If you typically have apneic attacks that last 10-20 seconds, there is really no difference in having one on the procedure table and having one in your bed. One of propofol's possible side effects is that it may induce apnea in some individuals. That is why a person is closely watched both during and after a procedure to make sure they are safe.

Anesthesiologists and recovery room personnel are accustomed to dealing with apnea of all the different types, so they've got you covered. With more and more people being overweight, there are a lot more cases of obstructive sleep apnea so all anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists have had a lot of practice with apnea. They know exactly how to respond.

Please try not to worry about the procedure. They will take care of you.

Kindest regards,

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Very good.

Thank you!