Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

How long does it take to get the results back from a pet scan

How long does it take to get the results back from a pet scan for suspected lung cancer?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

This is variable from one centre to another.

In general this can take less than a week ( usually 2/3 days) to get the PET scan results back to the physician who ordered the test.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which kind of biopsy do you think is better...needle or open?

This again depends upon number of factors.

Site of the cancer.

Accessibility.

Previous attempts at biopsy.

Fitness for anesthesia and open biopsy.

Patient's own choice.

I would certainly prefer needle biopsy due to minimal invasion and least possible chances of complications.

However, which procedure suits best a particular patient depends upon the particular clinical scenario and the decision has to be made in close liaison between the physician, pathologist/surgeon (who will perform the biopsy) and the patient.

Kindest Regards.