Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

If a patient is to receive 2 g of medication in 150 mL over

If a patient is to receive 2 g of medication in 150 mL over 90 minutes, what would the flow rate in milliliters per hour be?

How do you work this formula to solve the problem to come up with the answer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : The flow rate would be 100ml/hr.....
Anthony Bray MD : this rate would deliver the 150ml in 1.5 hour or 90 mini
Anthony Bray MD : minutes....
Anthony Bray MD : Based on your question the 2.0gram of medication is dissolved in the 150ml of solution.
Anthony Bray MD : i hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions- and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If my response has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank you and best regards ,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

I worked this several different ways and could not come up with the right answer. How did you get the 100 ml/hr? I multiplied 150*1.5*2????

Anthony Bray MD : No your problem includes the information of the 2.0 grams of medication but this information is not involved on calculating the rate of infusion!!
Anthony Bray MD : you have that the total volume to be infused is 150 ml and that this volume is infused over 90 minutes...
Customer:

So it would be 150ml/1.5=100ml

Anthony Bray MD : This means that 50ml is infused each 30 minutes, right?? So your infusion rate per hour is 100ml/ hour....
Anthony Bray MD : right!!
Customer:

Ok, Thank you! (understand now)

Anthony Bray MD : Ok good --- take care!!
Anthony Bray MD : let me know if I may be of further help!!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice