My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today.
You should get the following investigations by your primary care physician;
1) Ultrasound and a CT scan for the abdomen; to rule out gall bladder stone or chronic pancreatitis (rarely a small kidney stone may also be responsible which would be found out by these investigations). A fatty liver disease also is not uncommon for your symptoms. These are the most likely possibilities for your manifestations.
2) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy; to rule out acid reflux (GERD / gastroesophageal reflux disease).
3) Echocardiography; this is mandatory with the past high blood pressure readings.
4) Lipid profile; Cholesterol and triglycerides are done for the routine check up.
The stabbing pain shoulder blades can be due to gall bladder stone, but it can be muscular. This is called as myofascial pain syndromes. Muscles of the neck and shoulder girdle, namely; trapezius, scalene, sternocleidomastoid, levator scapulae etc can develop myofascial trigger points. These are hyperirritable tender spots in palpable tense bands of skeletal muscle that refer pain. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. The treatment is following;
1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.
2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.
3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.
4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray
5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)
6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points
8) steroid shots
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."
Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.