Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

In February of this year, I suddenly lost most of sense of

In February of this year, I suddenly lost most of sense of taste and smell. I went to doctor and he said must be allergies, so I have used some nose sprays and some allergy pills. Can't use the antihistamine nose spray because makes me so sleepy (only used 2x). Still see no improvement whatsoever. Not so bad that I can't live with it, but how much should I worry it is a brain tumor. I do not want CAT scan if can possibly help it since high radiation exposure as child worries me. If it comes to it, would MRI work? How aggressively should I be pursuing answer, since this has now been 4 months?

Do you have stuffy nose,phlegm at back of throat?

Associated cough,fever?

History of Diabetes,Hypertension?

Have you started any new medications?

Bleeding and swollen gums?

History of any trauma to head?

Smoking and alcohol intake?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have none of the above.. nothing different.. no coughing, sneezing, nothing. Did forget to say that doctor referred me to ENT doctor who did the looking up the nose with an instrument... said no nodules or growths.. she was the one who gave me the nose sprays to use for a month.

Thanks for providing more information.

I understand your concern.

And as you describe chances of any sinus related issues are less likely in your case.

And the sense of taste and smell are intimately related to each other and usually the loss of one sensation results in loss of the other sensation as well.

There are few important possibilities which should be investigated and can be responsible for loss of smell & taste such as

neurological manifestations (brain growth or mass), neuropathies, vasomotor rhinitis, long standing GERD related complications,Gingivitis or gum disease,Sinus infections or nasal polyps,Vitamin B12 and Zinc deficiency,Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Drug induced and most likely drugs are antihypertensives, antihistaminics, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, antibiotics.

Further blood work like complete blood count,blood sugars, thyroid tests and investigations like CT/MRI of the head and sinuses should be advised.

MRI can also help in detecting any neurological pathology so you can consult a neurologist for further evaluation and management.

In the meantime zinc and vitamin supplementataion helps restore both taste and smell to some extent so you can take zinc lozenges once a day as well as multivitamin containing B 12 once a day.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is vasomotor rhinitis? Also what is neuropathy? I have had silent reflux for several years but have absolutely no symptoms and no heartburn.

I take high potency multivitamin, as well as B-12 and zinc on a daily basis for years.

Do not take any drugs except estradiol 0.05 for ten or fifteen years.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Vasomotor Rhinitis is Non-allergic rhinitis & non-inflammatory or inflammatory rhinitis. in which certain nonspecific stimuli, including changes in environment (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, or weather); airborne irritants (odors, fumes); dietary factors (spicy food, alcohol); sexual arousal; and emotional factors causing symptoms.

Sometimes cause is unknown.

Neuropathy is damage to nerves supplying to particular areas causing loss of sensation.

Neuropathy can affect nerves that control muscle movement (motor nerves) and those that detect sensations such as coldness or pain (sensory nerves).

Chronic Acid reflux can be a contributing factor in loss of taste and further smell.

A clinical examination by a neurologist should be considered in your case.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.