Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

My cousin has a swelling at the top of her sternum...it is

My cousin has a swelling at the top of her sternum...it is soft and the size of a desert spoon. She saw her Doctor today...he is fast tracking her to the Hospital for tests. It is growing each day a bit more...she is scared. What could it be please?
Many thanks for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

What is your cousin's age?

Is the swelling painful?

How long its been there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The lump is not painfull and has been there since Satirday as far as she is aware. She is 63.

Thanks deborah.

A non painful bump on the sternum could be a "lipoma" or fat filled soft lesion. This is always benign and can be treated through surgical excision.

Other possibilities are cold abscess or tubercular abscess. This may or may not be associated with fever and usually treated with anti tubercular medicines.

If the lump becomes hard and painful, it could turn into an infected abscess.

Bone tumors (benign or malignant) are other possibilities which are unlikely as you have mentioned that it has been growing rapidly.

If the lump is not visible on the X ray (for example if it is a lipoma it will not be seen on an X ray) , you should get a CT scan of the sternum to see if the lump is actually arising from the soft tissues and not bone. Bone origin lumps are usually firm to hard in consistency.

Please discuss these possibilities with her doctor.

Best of luck!

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.