Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

A few weeks ago, I experienced an allergic reaction to an antibiotic.

A few weeks ago, I experienced an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. I was covered in an itchy rash including my buttocks. Since then (the allergic reaction has cleared), I've developed sores just on the inside of my left buttock. I do have a Valtrex prescription and have been taken that thinking this might be an outbreak, but it does not feel or look that way. It's more of a raw looking sore than any blisters or anything like that. It appears to clear and then comes back.
Hi--are you saying that the initial rash completely cleared and then the new areas on your buttock occurred?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the initial rash completely cleared but the sores on the buttock remained.

OK--and has your doctor seen these sores?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have an appointment for later today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if you received my last reply to your question....but I am scheduled to see my dr. this afternoon.

OK. I assume you know what the typical herpes outbreak looks like and it doesn't sound like this is that. Since the cortisone and antibiotic creams haven't helped, it's probably one of two things. One would be a streptococcal cellulitis that would need oral antibiotics. The other would be an inflammatory eczema that might need either oral prednisone or a prescription cortisone cream. Possibly but less likely, this might be a tinea--yeast--infection that would need prescription ketoconazole cream. Sorry I can't give you an precise diagnosis, but those are my thoughts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have eczema as well but I cannot take oral steroids...allergic. Hopefully my dr. can come up with other options if I need a steroid.

There are other creams like tacrolimus for eczema if that's what this is but I think it's more likely a cellulitis