Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

For a few days Ive had problems with my left ear. It feels

For a few days I've had problems with my left ear. It feels numb around the tragus and the root of the ear (a bit towards the face sometimes) and my hearing is also reduced (not too much but it feels muffled as if I had a bit of cotton blocking it). Sometimes there's a ringing as well, especially at the beginning.

Lately it's mostly happened or I've felt it more severely after I wake up (I sleep on the left side). I have to say I haven't been sleeping right for the last few weeks and sometimes I fall asleep on my couch, which is not particularly comfortable, and I wake up with pain in the upper part of my neck as well.

To add some extra information I go to a lot of live music events but I always wear earplugs and I've never experienced any ringing, pain or discomfort after that. I wear earphones a lot as well but never particularly loud although they do go inside my ear canal quite a lot (I originally thought it might be an infection or something related to that).
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Associated ear discharge?

Stuffy nose?

Fever?

Headache?

Have you tried any medications?

Neck stiffness?

What is your occupation?

Dizziness?

Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No discharge, fever or anything that I could associate with an infection, no. And nothing strange in my medical history.

I've been sneezing more often recently but that's more likely my hay fever kicking in. I'm using antihistamines and a nasal spray and those symptoms are gone. The only medication I'm taking apart from that is omeprazole.

Headaches only if I didn't sleep well or after a long day but nothing major, more like a general pressure rather than anything specific.

My neck feels a bit stiff and painful today, especially the upper part of it. As I said, I haven't been sleeping well recently and sometimes not in the best position.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe,your symptoms shouldn't be ignored and left them untreated as such.

You need to be seen by an ENT specialist for a clinical examination to rule out Sinusitis,Inner ear inflammation,Eustachian tube dysfunction.

In the meantime you can take OTC Motrin 200 mg every 4 hourly.

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses on back of neck.

Poor posture,lack of adequate sleep can be contributing factors in neck stiffness and pain.

Exposure to loud music can be a causative factor in tinnitus(ringing in ears).

Take OTC Claritin.

Do menthol steam inhalation.

Avoid spicy,fried foods.

Antibiotics can be advised as well.

Your doctor may advise masking devices (Tinnitus maskers )similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus(ringing in ears) symptoms.

Try sleeping with your head propped up in an elevated position which lessens head congestion and noises may become less noticeable.
Try Valsalva manoeuvre-Take a breath in. Then, try to breathe out gently with your mouth closed and pinching your nose.In this way, no air is blown out but you are gently pushing air into the Eustachian tube. If you do this you may feel your ears go 'pop' as air is forced into the middle ear. This sometimes eases the problem.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could the posture/neck issues be related to the ear numbness/loss of hearing then?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Posture/neck issues can be related to the ear numbness due to nerve compression.

Even muscle stiffness and spasms in the neck and upper back region also can affect the small muscles inside the middle ear.
This can cause tinnitus in some individuals due to the muscle spasms inside the ear.

A clinical examination by an ENT specialist should be considered in your case at first place for proper evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.