Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

hello, i ate right before is slept and i woke up in the middle

hello, i ate right before is slept and i woke up in the middle of the night feeling discomfort in the stomach and feverish, after 30 minutes i was fine.. i ate bread with nutella. Was the food the cause of this?
Hello Harry,

Your symptoms are suggestive of gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) and mild stomach upset / intestinal flu. Following usually are helpful in GERD;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

So your symptoms are most likely due to the food, sleeping immediately after eating the food and occasionally anxiety, if you have a predisposition.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WHAT? i did not bother to read all this, i only had this yesterday its not happening every night and i asked if what i experienced was due to the fact that i ate right before i sleep

Yes, Harry. This happened as you slept immediately after you ate. This phenomenon is not unusual and self limiting (resolves spontaneously).

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your answer

You are very welcome, Harry.

Best wishes and kindest regards