Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

Hello Dr. I saw a Q and A thread on this website between

Hello Dr.
I saw a Q and A thread on this website between a doctor and a user who was concerned about catching STDs via Nuru Massage (erotic massage where both parties are fully naked and lubricated with a water based gel with intimate contact but no intercourse). The doctor said that a high risk would be contracting herpes since there is direct skin to skin contact and gonorrhea if oral sex is involved. My question is if I receive a Nuru massage from a woman who may have genital herpes and her vagina comes into contact with my legs, abdomen, and back (avoiding my penis is my point) am I still able to get infected with herpes?

Yes hepes can occur on areas other than penis.
It is transmitted by skin to skin contact and can be contracted on thigh,lower abdomen etc

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Onlinedoc. I've never seen what a herpes sore looks like, or where exactly on the female genital area they occur (as in are they hidden inside the vagina or are they visible on the outer areas.) Does it matter if the actual sores are not visible, or is the vaginal fluid enough to transmit and infect?

Thanks and i'm sure this answer will clear everything up for me.

Here are few images for your review

They can occur any where on the skin or the mucosa in the genital area.
Asymptomatic viral shedding means that virus can sometimes be shedding during the asymptomatic phase.
But chances of transmission on infection are maximum during active infection phase.