Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

my daughter had to come home from camp early she was really

my daughter had to come home from camp early she was really tired after lots of sleep ,dizzy spells ,acouple of times a day she had rapid heart beats , she didn't feel good. camp took her to er. she has IHCT of 27 normal being 37-47 . they sent her home from ER didn't give her Iron This was Friday night she came home today after I saw the Lab work I was worried She got really dizzy, weak, rapid heart beat about 3 hrs after dinner . Shes sleeping . Should I take her to er when she wakes or is it ok to see Dr. on office tomorrow afternoon?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Would you like to chat live with me?

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you checked her blood pressure now?

Customer:

no not at home

Dr. R. Bora :

What was her blood pressure in the ER?

Customer:

looking thru paper work to find it

Dr. R. Bora :

Alright. The low IHCT needs evaluation as it could have quite a few possibilities.

Customer:

they dont have basic vital sihns in the paper work

Dr. R. Bora :

At the moment, you can give her gatorade to drink and get over the dizziness.

Dr. R. Bora :

If she is sleeping and rested, she may feel better after waking up. The dizziness may come down.

Customer:

ok i gave her oj. but her heart still pounded a lot she said she is so weak i thought for how low it was they would give her iron in hospital

Customer:

how long doea this take to start getting better with just oral iron and leafy greens

Dr. R. Bora :

Well this will depend on what her ion and hemoglobin levels are in the lab work.

Dr. R. Bora :

If the levels are too low, she will needs intravenous iron infusion every other day for a couple of days.

Customer:

its happening a couple of times a day I didn't know before camp I thought she had just not eaten . We have been really busy on trip to ny moving high acheiving student in honors classes really busy last month of school . I am afraid we missed this and n

Dr. R. Bora :

Its alright, you should take her to an MD internal medicine tomorow.

Customer:

what if I cannt get in should she go to Er . and at what levels do they give Iv iron , or Im ( i don't even know if they give it im

Dr. R. Bora :

Normal serum iron in women is : 50 to 170 μg/dL

Dr. R. Bora :

It is not given IM, only IV.

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, if you cannot meet an MD tomorrow, take her to ER.

Customer:

her HCT was 27 normal 37-47 that why I want to know if she should be give iron right away IV or IM

Dr. R. Bora :

This is not the iron level, it is the hematocrit level.

Dr. R. Bora :

You will have to check her hemoglobin level also.

Customer:

Thats what is so low is iron not the problem

Dr. R. Bora :

It can be iron or low blood red blood cells.

Customer:

Why would you have LOw RBC's

Dr. R. Bora :

Low RBC can be due to anemia.

Dr. R. Bora :

This may or may not be assciated with low iron.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, she needs a complete blood count / CBC test.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello?

Customer:

Shes 17 yr old with heavy menses and , Glutin allerys and dairy allergies so her diet is probably lacking

Dr. R. Bora :

Heavy menses is a common cause for anemia.

Dr. R. Bora :

Please take her to ER tomorrow and get all the CBC, reticulocyte count, platelet count and peripheral blood smear tests done.

Customer:

she had NA.K, BUn Cr. Ca. Cl TCo2

Dr. R. Bora :

Alright.

Dr. R. Bora :

But she needs the tests that I have just mentioned because she has low IHCT.

Customer:

She Had a Na,K, Cl, TCO2, Glucose, BUN, CR, iCa, HCT< done with a EKG, Urine testing

Customer:

SHe has a cbc done I think

Dr. R. Bora :

Please take her to ER tomorrow and get reticulocyte count, platelet count and peripheral blood smear tests done as well because she has low IHCT..

Customer:

she had a Cbc done I think she had An iStat 10 done

Dr. R. Bora :

Ok.

Dr. R. Bora :

But as she is symptomatic, she needs the tests that I have mentioned.

Customer:

She had a iStat 10 done I think the part of a cbc was done in that

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, very likely.

Dr. R. Bora :

Why have you rated me poor service?

Customer:

d

Customer:

left if middle

Dr. R. Bora :

I am already chatting with you, why have you rated me poor service?

Dr. R. Bora :

Our chat is not yet complete?

Dr. R. Bora :

I have been chatting for last 30 minutes with you and you have rated me poor service?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Hello Cindy, what more questions do you have?

You have to tell me the reason for the poor service.

If she does not get the reticulocyte count and peripheral blood dmear done, you will never know the reasons for the low IHCT.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks.

The I-Sat test is an emergency test for analysis of the blood gases like oxygen and carbon di oxide, it does not tell you about cell count.

Even CBC does not tell you about reticulocyte count.

Best wishes for your daughter!