Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a lipoma on my right arm and it has increased in size,

I have a lipoma on my right arm and it has increased in size, about the size of a golf ball. Is surgery the only alternative, or are there any other alternatives like liposuction or other alternatives. Years ago, a dermatologist could not remove it because it is in the crease of the inner arm, apparently where there are some nerves. ALSO, is this a sign of kidney problems. The only med I take is Levoxyl for hypothyroidism. I do not drink and have a healthier diet and lifestyle than most people.

Hello Contractor ,

My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question wan unanswered for very long.

I am afraid surgery is the only option for lipoma which is enlarging. Liposuction is not the procedure of the choice as it has an high recurrence rate. There are no other alternative therapies like herbs or homeopathy which are not likely to be efficacious completely. An increasing lipoma needs a surgical removal.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just asked you a question about the lipoma. You replied that liposuction has a high chance of reocurrence. My question is: Is liposuction safe, since the lipoma is below the inner crease of my arm, will the liposuction affect any nerves - or is liposuction safe? I am trying to avoid surgery, since I have hypothyroidism, and may be more at risk when being anesthesized.

Hello and welcome Contractor,

Liposuction is safe and causing nerve injury is quite unlikely. Though as discussed, there is a chance of recurrence.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun