Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

What would cause a person to sleep 13 hours and want to sleep

What would cause a person to sleep 13 hours and want to sleep more? Lately I have been oversleeping, and find myself fighting my eyelids constantly at work and home. Several times at work I am sure I have nodded off in mid sentence while doing my work.

I have always had trouble getting to sleep since I was young, but once I get there it's hard to wake up. I feel drugged and today, the worst day I've had so far, i felt almost drugged, dizzy, and uncoordinated.

The only other issue I've had lately is a constant cough that I've had since January which I have been attributing to allergies.

Do you have associated weight changes?

Late night eating and work?

Associated stress and anxiety issues?

Excessive hunger?

Blurred vision?

Heaviness in forehead?

Stuffy nose?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Are you taking any medications?

What is your occupation?

Phlegm at back of throat?

Smoking and alcohol history?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have gained weight in the past couple of months

No to late night eating and work (i do work a mid day shift though 10 to 6)

No Stuffy noise but like above i've had a constant cough that hacks up these little balls of junk (usually clear or yellow)

The getting to sleep issue has always been a problem but the oversleeping has just recently started in the past 2 weeks.

Taking Atenolol 50mg for MVP issues/Migraines

Taking Sertraline 50mg for Social Anxiety Disorder

No fever

It does not feel like there is phlegm at the back of my throat, but like I said I hack up these little pieces of crap constantly.

No Heartburn and I do not smoke, and have alcohol usually 1 or 2 times a month if that

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgot to add my occuptation - I am an email customer service advocate for a company

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgot to add my occupation - I am an email customer service advocate for a company

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe excessive sleeping,dizziness,lethargy,weight gain -such symptoms shouldn't be ignored.

And you need consult your regular doctor for a clinical examination and undergo Chest X-ray, blood work like CBC,ESR,Thyroid function test, Absolute Eosinophil count,24 hr urine cortisol to rule out underlying possible causes like Anemia,Thyroid dysfunction, imbalance of cortisol,Sinusitis,Bronchitis,Allergy.

Atenolol may be contributing to the cough by causing broncho constriction which is the side effect of atenolol.

So discuss it with your doctor.

You should start a multivitamin supplement containing B complex.

Also hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Do saline gargles and steam inhalation.

Cough more than 2 weeks shouldn't be left untreated.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.