Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a few days or a week of constipation (no bowel movement

I have a few days or a week of constipation (no bowel movement for up to 7 days) then have a day of several bowel movements where the stools start off hard and lumpy but get progressively looser and more urgent. The following day, my bowels return to constipation with no bowel movement for another few days.

Other times I will have no problem going and be fine. But lately it has gotten very bad. I take supplements for B12 and folic acid as I'm B12 anemic. I'm non veg Indian so I eat lots of greens + meat.
Hi--you haven't talked to a doctor about this as yet or had any studies done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sir,

No I have not spoken to any doctor or any studies. I went once to a walk-in clinic they gave me some drug it made me poop hell for days so I didn't go back feeling they weren't understanding my problem. Been living with this for a few months now :(

OK--here's what I would do if I were your doctor. In would get a ct scan of your abdomen, send a stool specimen to the lab, and arrange for colonoscopy to determine what's going on here. This could be what's called irritable bowel syndrome and there are medications for that if necessary, but that needs to be ruled out with testing for other possibilities. I would also screen you for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug--which can cause these symptoms even if you don't have an ulcer. You may have a fecal impaction--a ball of stool caught in your colon and partially obstructing it--or you may have an inflammatory colon disorder. While I think irritable bowel syndrome is the most likely cause here, this is something that you need further workup for.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it was IBS is there any diet changes that would help ease it?

Also is it possible I'm low on some vitamin? since I'm B12 anemic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if this helps but I've found if I eat home made chicken I will have good bowel movement next day and everything is good...

No, not a vitamin deficiency. A diet avoiding most dairy products and fatty and spicy foods,cabbage, broccoli, beans, nuts, caffeine containing and carbonated beverages is best for IBS. Lean meats, fish, and poultry are fine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ouch I'm indian most of our food is spicy, dairy, cabbage, brocollie, beans etc. I don't drink pop at all.

I will go to a doctor now. Might as well stop eating i guess (joking).

Thanks for all the advice doc.

We don't know for sure it is IBS but let me know how it goes