Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

I had white patches on my face and elbows when i was a kid.

I had white patches on my face and elbows when i was a kid. I took some herbal medication(Bavachi) and it went away. Recently i took a steroid cycle for 3 months. I have a white patch on my face under my lip, on my penis, and on my arm.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 10 months ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Do the white areas itch?

Customer:

No

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

I have just applied the antifungal cream so far

Dr Brims :

WHen did you start using the cream?

Customer:

i havent been using it consistently since i wasnt sure if it was a fungus. Should i continue using it

Dr Brims :

The most likely cause is a fungal infection, so an antifungal cream would be the likely best treatment option

Customer:

I read somewhere if injected steroids white patches can appear and i took a cycle for 3 months. So can it still be a fungal infection

Dr Brims :

Yes, it can still be a fungal infection

Customer:

Can it be something else like vtiligo. i had these patches when i was a kid but they went away once i started taking herbal medication

Dr Brims :

Can you describe the patches?

Customer:

I also applied the antifungal medication for 4-5 days morning and night and i didnt see any changes so i stopped. i have one under my bottom right lip not to big but visible(sort of round), one on my thumb, two on the backside of my left hand not too big, between my middle finger and index finger, 4-5 on my penis(on foreskin and under

Dr Brims :

Can you take a picture?

Customer:

yea, i can take a pic

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

do you want me to attach it to this

Dr Brims :

yes please

Customer:

sure one min please

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

i will have to email it to you or if you can wait 2 mins i can save it and attach it

Dr Brims :

I can wait

Customer:

thank you

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

sorry for the delay doctor..i am just pasting it

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

back of my hand
Full Size Image

Customer:

can you see the images doctor

Dr Brims :

yes

Customer:

these are just few of em

Dr Brims :

This is vitiligo

Dr Brims :

It will requite a steroid cream or a cream like elidel to treat it

Dr Brims :

It often disappears on its own

Dr Brims :

It is not dangerous, it only gives an unpleasant appearance

Customer:

I thought vitiligo never goes away. and does this cream elidel has any side affects

Customer:

I am not a big fan of these patches

Customer:

and are these over the counter mediactions

Dr Brims :

It may cause a burning sensation , but that is rare

Dr Brims :

vitiligo may disappear on its own with no treatment

Customer:

but do i need prescription for the cream you mentioned and should i stop the antifungal cream

Dr Brims :

I think you should stop the antifungal

Dr Brims :

You would need a prescription for the cream

Customer:

i was also thinking about going to a dermatologist and getting it checked out

Customer:

i read somewhere that i should stay away from spicy food and sour food is that true or a myth

Dr Brims :

It is a myth

Customer:

Any other precautions and do i get it checked out to make sure its vitiligo from a dermatologist

Dr Brims :

ANother cream that may work is clobestasol cream, it also requires a prescription

Dr Brims :

Yes, you should see a dermatologist

Customer:

Thank you for your help doctor..

Customer:

i will get the creams and i will also see a dermatologist asap

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

That is what I recommend

Customer:

Good night and thank you again

Dr Brims :

Good night

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience