Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

Very tender swollen foot, ankle and calf for a month with no

Very tender swollen foot, ankle and calf for a month with no relieve. Blood clot was ruled out blood clot after er visit. I wear compression socks, wraps and have taken flurosimine and hydrothrochlicide (not sure of spelling) both water pills.
I also keep it elevated and do not wear tight shoes or tight clothes.
Please help. I have my children massage it daily and its like the fluid wil rush one direction and when stand I feel tingly numbness that rushes back down to my foot.
It's my left foot. Also ocassionaly I'll get sharp pains that are very painful. What could this be?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

First thing i would like to make sure (if the possibility of blood clot has already been ruled out) is that this is not from your joints.

Gout can give you swelling in the affected foot but this is accompanied by severely swollen and painful joint, which is red, hot and painful to touch.

Varicose veins can give you swelling over the feet and ankles (and this is clearly diagnosed on clinical examination), and if this (swelling and pain) in your case is due to varicose veins, it is an indication to get these treated.

Swelling of the feet and legs is actually called peripheral edema and there are few other important reasons for this which need to be investigated first before attributing this swelling to varicose veins or other related pathologies like lymphedema or venous incompetence.

First, a kidney disease leading to excessive loss of proteins in the urine. This reduces the proteins in the blood, and hence a reduced capacity to hold fluid with in the blood vessel, as a result the fluid leaks out and accumulates in dependant areas of body first, such as feet.

Second, a liver disease, which results in reduced production of proteins from liver and hence results in swelling in the similar way as explained above.

Finally, a heart disease leading to congestion, and malabsorption states/malnutrition leading to protein deficiency, can result in the same.
Therefore you should get back to your doctor, discuss the details i have mentioned and get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

At home, Rest, Leg elevation, reducing salt and water intake will help.

Your doctor may increase the dose of water pills that will remove extra fluid from the feet gradually and can make you feel better.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.