Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I had knee replacement surgery last Monday.Today, I felt good

I had knee replacement surgery last Monday.Today, I felt good enough to go for a walk. I overdid it and now my calf is very swollen. I've iced it and elevated it. I am taking aspirin and doing ankle pumps. Do I need to have it looked at for the swelling in an emergencyroom? I have no localized pain.

My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today.

A sudden significant swelling with a recent history ( a week ago) of knee replacement surgery would warrant an examination by the doctor. The chance of deep vein thrombosis is not much likely but we work on the extreme caution during the two weeks post operative period. So going to ER would be recommended, where the doctor may consider getting an ultrasound (colored doppler study) and a D-dimer blood test, just for the prophylactic reason.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.