Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

My son suffers from epilepsy and ever since one severe grand

My son suffers from epilepsy and ever since one severe grand mal seizure he has a form of amnesia. He tends to tell the same storys over and over again and he has to write everything down that he needs to do the next day. If he was to lose the list he wouldn't remember any of it. He is on medication to prevent seizures. I just wonder if this type of memory problem is anything that can be helped in any way or not.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

- How old is your son?

- When did your son have the seizure and the memory loss? Has it improved in any way since then?

- What medicines is he on now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is thirty and the last grand mal seizure was a few years ago. He seems to have some activity going on all the time since when he is tired his eyes flicker a lot and sometimes his arm will fly up unexpectedly. He is on the generic form of Keppra.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hope my reply reached you

Sorry for the dealy in getting back to you.

Your son suffers from a form of amnesia known as anteretrograde amnsia. This type of amnesia causes a person to forget recent events due to an inability to store memories after a traumatic event. This traumatic event may be an injury or, as in your son's case, a seizure.

A seizure can also cause muscular problems like fasciculations or muscular tremor or an inability to control muscular movements .

Anteretrograde amnesia is very difficult to treat and it may not be possible to recover completely from it.

The main form of treatment in by occupational or cognitive therapy. He will be helped to develop whatever memory skills they have and will also be trained to to regain some memories by techniques which help retrieve memories or create new retrieval paths.

His neurologist should be able to give you a referral.

I hope this helps.