Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Im a 40 year old male. Ive been peeing a lot with dull pain

Customer Question

I'm a 40 year old male. I've been peeing a lot with dull pain in my kidneys. Went to dr and urine test says no uti. I've also been feeling bloated. I'm very tired and sleepy a lot too like sleep not helping much. I've been diagnosed with hypoglycemia several years ago and have to eat small meals throughout the day to maintain blood sugar but it almost seems lately like in weak n shaky n tired and urinating a lot. Any ideas? I'm getting kinda scared. Doc drew blood and I'm waiting for results
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Well some symptoms could potentially fit with diabetes...I hope that is not the case but the frequent urination and the fatigue are symptoms and your age of 40 is common for early type 2 diabetes to develop....

Anthony Bray MD :

What makes me more suspicious of that is your history of hypoglycemia actually...

Anthony Bray MD :

Ironically due to type 2 diabetes the lack of working insulin receptors on cells may make you more sensitive to lowish blood sugars than you should be....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would be interested in your renal function blood tests and liver function tests as well as you await your results...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information is somewhat helpful >> I am unable of course to give you a specific answer to your symptoms but your tests will hopefully shed light... your doctor I hope obtained bith a fasting glucose and a hemoglobin A1C >> this latter test would reflect what your blood sugars have been doing for the past three months...

Anthony Bray MD :

If my responses have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: But isn't diabetes high blood sugar? Mine has always been low for many years...
Anthony Bray MD :

Yes diabetes is indeed high blood sugar and this may not be your problem. My point is that with diabetes type 2 a blood sugar of 70 in a normal person gives no symptoms but would if you were on the path toward type 2 diabetes...

Anthony Bray MD :

What do your blood sugars range if you know??

Anthony Bray MD :

Have you been tested for over-production of insulin?? A c-peptide is the best test for this but needs more than one measure as it should be checked multiple times along with the blood sugar...

Anthony Bray MD :

Have you had any history of kidney stones? I wonder this due to your sense of dull pain in the kidneys....

Anthony Bray MD :

Your doctor may also need to consider a prostate exam > followed THEN by a urinalysis >>Prostate infection frequently presents as dull back pain...

Anthony Bray MD :

A urinalysis alone without a prostate exam may miss this diagnosis....

Customer: My range has been as low as 38 before. My testosterone has also been checked and was low but they wouldn't give me injections because a test concluded that I was producing it on my own just very low. I also have high cholesterol
Anthony Bray MD :

I see... yesXXXXXtoo low!! Normal fasting is 65 to 108

Anthony Bray MD :

The low testosterone and free testosterone may need to be rechecked with time... testosterone supplement would tend to worsen your cholesterol though... that may need to be treated with a statin or other depending on the HDL and LDL and other risk factors that you may have such as family history...

Customer: Yes I've had kidney stones before
Anthony Bray MD :

DHEA supplement may help your terstosterone levels to rise... if you elect to take this OTC supplement 50 to 100mg/day then have your testosterone levels and cholesterol rechecjked in a few months...

Anthony Bray MD :

That could be a potential reason for you to have kidney area pain.... that possibility may need to be checked with a renal CT...

Customer: Ok this gives me ideas to talk to the doctor about. Thank you so much for your help
Anthony Bray MD :

Take care >> i hope that you feel better soon!!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice