Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was on Fentanyl patches for back pain for 9 months and was

I was on Fentanyl patches for back pain for 9 months and was a out of it for a while, so my family sent me to a treatment center to get off of them in March of 2011. Several months after that I was diagnosed at the Menninger Clinic in Houston with early onset of dementia. I was 61 at the time and I am wondering if the dementia could have been a side effect of the Fentanyl use.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It certainly is possible that your Fentanyl patches adversely affected your cognition. This may have led to a misdiagnosis of dementia...

Anthony Bray MD :

This would not be surprising at all...

Anthony Bray MD :

The Fentanyl is a strong narcotic and commonly adversely affects people's ability to think or remember clearly...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps.

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy tio get back with you!

Customer:

I did have a PET scan done that showed a small area of my brain that indicated dementia. The neurologist said that it was a very rare form.

Anthony Bray MD :

Well the Fentanyl would not cause changes on MRI or PET scan....

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you know your specific diagnosis??

Anthony Bray MD :

The Fentanykl would probably make any such problem much WORSE though....

Customer:

Thanks... that's good to know. Dementia does run in my family. But I am not very incapacitated right now. I am working out like crazy with a trainer. Lifting 55 lb. kettle bells and boxing like crazy!!!

Anthony Bray MD :

If at the conclusion of our interaction my responses have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated!

Anthony Bray MD :

Well from your communication here you would seem fine!!