Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Good morning doctor. Once in a while I get this weird pain

Customer Question

Good morning doctor. Once in a while I get this weird pain 6 inches straight down from my left armpit. Is it anything? I can be laying down and it happens. Is it anything it happens several times a week.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--is this the same pain in your chest we've talked about before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well sometimes in the middle of the chest but more on the left side and yes we have talked about this before. I am trying to make sure its not heart. Because I guess I am not exactly clear where my heart is. I feel at times sometimes I have an ache around my heart.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--just once more if you can tell me all you can about the pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its not a hard pain its mild and I sometimes lay still when it happens and take a deep breath sometimes it goes away in a few minutes and sometimes when I take a deep breath pain sometimes is like head to toe but not severe at all. Some times it feels like achey pain around my heart i think its my heart. A lot of times I am laying down and I feel like my bra is to tight under my left breast and it hurts a little so I undo my bra and it appears to go away now the pain is not on the outside it appears to be deeper then that. Its never pain that I can't handle its actually mild pain although I am nervous about it because I don't know what it is. Another thing I feel asleep with my right arm above my head and when I woke up this morning I head to take my left hand to bring it down because it hurt so bad at the shoulder area it lasted about 30 mins and feels fine again.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Are you saying that a deep breath relieves the pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sometimes but sometimes when I deep breath the pain will go from head to toe. Sometimes I shallow breath and just am still for a few minutes until its gone.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry--you're saying the pain goes all over your body and not just in your chest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its weird it feels like it goes in my toes and then its gone its when I exhale the breath its kind of weird and it does not do it all the time only sometimes. I just tried it and not doesn;t do it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And it's actually pain in your toes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well like needles kind of then its gone in a flash. One thing that I do know for sure is my heart beats fast sometimes for no reason.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--when's the last time you had an EKG?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in the ER a couple of years ago I think. And some blood work to check to see if I was having heart trouble. I was having pain under the left side of my jaw bone. They also did a heart xray with something in the IV that was warm.

They said everything seemed to look okay but I should follow up with a cardiologists and the pain went away and I never saw anyone.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--again this doesn't sound like your heart--especially the pain in other parts of your body. But it could be a disk problem in your middle back that's radiating pain elsewhere and I would get an MRI of the thoracic spine. That said, considering your age, you are overdue for a screening EKG so your GP should get on at your next checkup
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am going to see a new female doctor on June 26 I heard she is pretty thorough should I ask for EKG?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--just tell here that it's been two years since you had one
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doctor,

I heard that an EKG can only tell you something if you are having a heart attack at that time, if you are having a heart attack at that time. that it doesn't really tell you anything else is this true? Like right now I am having a pain right in the center of my breast. I will apply pressure with my fingers now to see if it will go away. It only lasted about a minute. Its gone now. Sometimes that pain is like medium sharp.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
An EKG can tell if you've had a heart attack or if you have any rhythm problems and it can indicate if there's a problem with your coronary arteries as in blood flow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay I did not know that. so if I had a blood floe problem they would have seen it before? Right?

Because if there was or is could that cause dizziness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they would have seen it before. A rhythm problem could cause dizziness but I don't think your dizziness is at all heart-related
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You always seem to make me feel much better about things. I do hope you are right about my medical not pertaining to my heart in anyway I know you have never examined me in person and I also know that you can't be 100% positive about anything but I truly hope you are about this because I do not want any heart or head issues of any kind to where it would required surgery to either place.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I really don't think this is your heart so try to take comfort in that