Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What is the best way to have my thyroid thoroughly tested?

What is the best way to have my thyroid thoroughly tested? My internist has done TSH and T3T4 testing.

Hello Susan,

My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today

Your doctor may also test for following;

1) Free T3
2) Free T4
3) Thyroid scan
4) Thyroid antibodies

Your doctor may also consider getting blood tests for the other hormones like testosterone and adrenal hormones for your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do the symptoms sound like there is a possibility of hypothyroidism? Should I have the parathyroid checked as well?

Yes, Susan. There is a possibility of hypothyroidism with your symptoms and about 10% of patient may have only free T3 or T4 decreased. With your symptoms, parathyroid do not need to be checked.

It is privilege assisting you.