Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Can gas get trapped in a joint causing pain?

My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today

Can you please further describe your symptoms?
Since when is the pain?
Which joint is affected?
Does the activity or weight bearing increases the pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Over the last two years. I have arthritis in both knees, gas gets trapped there also and in my jaw and shoulder. Yes activity and weight bearing increases the pain.

Hello Cathy,

Your symptoms are suggestive of degenerative arthritis. It is not the gas which gets trapped, but the loose bodies (very tiny concretions) tied up in the joint space. A friction massage dislodge them and decreases the associated muscle spasm and opens up the locked joint. Following measures would be helpful in the knee arthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging. f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

6) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years and a trial of diacerin for three months.

7) Hyaluronic acid injections in knee.

8) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

9) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

The shoulder joint and jaw too would respond to steroid shots and physical therapy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I rub the affected joints, it causes me to burb and the pain Is relieved.

Hello Cathy,

The explanation is following; The joint has a fluid for the lubrication and cushioning the bone which acts as a shock absorber. Nutrients float inside the fluid in joints, along with gases, such as oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. The rubbing of the joints releases the gas as it bubbles out of the joint fluid. This pain relief is temporary as this decreases the pressure in the joint transiently. For the long term management; physical therapy is the mainstay of the treatment. Mild massage do help in the degenerative arthritis and is part of the comprehensive management with acupuncture and acupressure.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun