Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have read that Chlamydia can be dormant in your system for

I have read that Chlamydia can be dormant in your system for years. How MANY years can it be dormant??? Also is it possible if I was having break through bleeding at the time of the pap smear could that cause contamination to the culture/swab that day?? The doctor also said I had a yeast infection that day....
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

HelloCustomer

In few cases the dormancy period can vary from some months to a few years but

in many cases the window period for Chlamydia is 2 to 6 weeks.

The sample for pap smear is taken from cervix and taken with spatula and brush after scrapping the cervix so usually the test result should not vary.

Also for Chlamydia NAAT test are used which are very sensitive.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hmm well it is strange because I had a culture in Nov 2012 and it was a Chlamydia Trachomatis NAA and it was negative. Well I went to the ER with pelvic pain and she did a pap. Well I go to pick up the results and it says: chlamydia antibody:positive... does that mean I have an active infection???

Was it IgG Antibody or IgM Antibody?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it does not say...............it just says......chlamydia antibody-positive source:cervix.

Chlamydia Antibody IgG & IgM

IgG Antibody is positive it indicates a past infection.

IgM Antibody is positive it indicates a current infection.

Further PCR test may be some times required to confirm the diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So basically I don't now since this test doesn't sa IgG or IgM?? Strange. what is PCR? I had another test Thursday. she tested me for everything using swabs. is this test more accurate?

Nucleic acid amplification tests (polymerase chain reaction)

NAAT(PCR)

Swabs can be sent for NAAT(PCR) test.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.