Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Vena Cava on the left side is closed for years now. The blood

Customer Question

Vena Cava on the left side is closed for years now. The blood created its own bypass. My left leg is biger that my right leg for years now, and my legs swell very quickly if I'm on my feet long or if I sit for a long period of time. The Vascular Surgen told me that they can't do much and it's better to leave it this way. They said that I'm doing well due to the condition, but they refused to operate or treate with the medication. They are not sure if its a cloth or if the doctors, during previous surgery I had on my stomack, cut the vein and tied it together. Now, I'm pregnant and some are saying I should have an abortion. They think, I can run into major complications. I don't won't have an abortion, but not sure if pregnancy is possible at all at this stage.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just to be clear here what do you mean by the vena cava on the left side? There are only the superior and inferior vena cavae.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Inferior Vena Cava

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--and do you know exactly how the blood from your legs is making it back to your heart--the bypass you mentioned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The blood from the left side is circulated through small veins on my stomack to the right side and then to my heart...they call that bypass...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Yours would obviously be a very high-risk pregnancy, both for you and for your fetus. As you went into the second and third trimester, the pressure from your enlarging uterus could very likely begin to obstruct the bypass and that could cause major leg swelling and the possibility of clots in the veins as well as cardiac problems from lack of venous return to your heart. In addition, the blood flow to your uterus and fetus could be compromised. You need to seriously consider terminating the pregnancy.