Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

On 5/23/13 I had surgey for a fractured humerus and torn rotator

On 5/23/13 I had surgey for a fractured humerus and torn rotator cuff. I was taking pain meds and on 6/7/13 became very constipated tried apple juice no help. Expelled a little mucus several times during the day. On 6/9/13 around 11:30 PM I took a laxative with a stool softner. ( I never take laxatives) I had diarehea 10th, 11th and 12th. Had to take immodium on the13th because I needed to go to PT. Now I feel constipated again and have the urge to push but all I get is avery little diarehea again. Help me please!!!
Hi--are you still taking the pain meds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO

OK--you may have a fecal impaction--a lump of hard stool that allows the more liquid softer stool to pass around it and causing the diarrhea and the urge to have a bowel movement. At this point you shouldn't take any more Imodium or any laxatives and you'll need colonoscopy to see exactly what's going on and to disimpact that stool. You have to see a doctor about this right away
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I can do to for it? Until I can see someone should I eat or not? Since the surgery My left shoulder must remain immobile. I am in an immobilizer and not permitted to lay down for at least 6-8 weeks. How would someone be able to examine me? Is there anything I can do? Should I eat or not?

Yes, you can still eat, although I suggest a bland diet--no fatty, fried, or spicy foods and plenty of vegetables but under no circumstances any more Imodium or laxatives. You can still be examined and even get the colonoscopy with your shoulder problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So sorry to keep asking stuff. Is it possible for this to clear on its own with the diet you suggested. I have basically been eating bananas and saltines the last couple of days and lots of water.

No problem--it may clear on its own but I wouldn't go longer than a few more days to see if it does