Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

question about blood test results

question about blood test results
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Please share with me your blood test reports.
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
How long back you had these test done.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr. Roberts

thank you for responding. this test was done on 5/29 of this year and as far as medical conditions I have occasional IBS. and occasional GERD. I also have seasonal allergies..

my blood work came in with everything in reference range however one was test name showed higher result.

the name is : MON% is 17.6 and MON# XXXXX XXXXX its higher then the norm and I am wondering why.

the blood test was not taken in the morning on the empty stomach as suggested so I am not sure if it might have something to do with this. and I did go to the gym prior to coming to the dr. Few days before that I had a very big scare with one of my family members and was very stressed out. that resulted in aggravating my IBS. that's why I came to the dr. after the dr looked over my blood work he suggested that there is nothing to be alarmed about. he said this result can vary through out the day. just wanted to hear another opinion

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your fear for getting medical illness.

It stands for Monocytes and they have a range of 2% to 8%
Having slight elevation of monocytes is of no clinical significance.
Such mild elevation probably does not indicate anything at all. It is probably a normal variation.
Yes, reading may vary, if done on empty stomach.
Your doctor should repeat it in a few months.
No need to get panic, Your tests are normal, they don't indicate towards any serious medical issue.

To control IBS symptoms, please follow these measures-

Stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.Sometimes doctor prescribe Anti anxiety or anti-depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.

No need to get panic, for blood test results.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your detailed explanation. the reason why I got alarmed is because on the reference range it says HIGH on both test names

so it says %MON 17.6 and reference range 4.0-10.0

#MON 1.7 and reference range 0.3-0.8

is there something I can do to lower it ? I am just trying to understand why it would be out of range if all other tests r absolutely normal

Thanks for asking follow up question. I can understand your concern.

Though mono percentage is high, this can happen without any medical condition.
Such increase in mono count, is not very significant or serious.

As all other blood tests are normal, so i would not panic for any serious issue. It can get rise in chronic disease like Irritable bowel syndrome.

You can get a repeat test after 3 months.

The prescription medications approved for the treatment of Irritable bowel syndrome are:
Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).
Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics)are very effective for IBS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok great I will do that .. one last question I have been taking magnesium with B6 vitamin...and multivitamins as well

I've been told that it help with nervous system since I am prone to a lot of stress and anxiety..

magnesium relaxes me

I just want to know if continuous use of magnesium and multivitamins are ok or I need to take breaks

Rachel, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Yes, it is completely safe to take a general multivitamin and
mineral supplement daily. No need to take break, from regular multi-vitamins.They are completely safe to take regularly.
Yes, continuous use of magnesium is also safe.
You can use this on regular basis.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician