Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

A friends daughter went in today, said her heart was messing

A friend's daughter went in today, said her heart was messing up some (after her second cardiac ablation) and her feet and ankles were swollen. Had called her heart Dr and they told her to come in. Then then sent her for an ultrasound of the groin checking for aneurysm. She has a lot of edema, legs, feet, hand, abdomen, and also feet turning purple. They did the test at the hospital and sent her home, with no diuretics, and told her to wait for the test in a couple days. She is a very thin girl who has put on over 15 pounds in several days water weight and says she is in so much pain in her legs.

Shouldn't they have given her a diuretic or something? She's home but not breathing great.

I will let you know something as soon as I can.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Have they done an echocardiogram?

Customer:

Only when she was in the hospital for the ablation about a couple weeks ago, but not today.

Dr Brims :

Did they do a chest x ray?

Customer:

Not this time, just an ultrasound to see if she had a clot in her leg.

Dr Brims :

But both legs are swollen?

Customer:

yes, feet, legs, abdomen, face.

Dr Brims :

I see, have they determined if it is fluid or not?

Customer:

It was strange actually, the GP sent her for an ultrasound to check for the clot because she was in pain, but she's swollen all over, obviously fluid retention, no doubt in anyone's minds, that's why I'm confused why they did not address it. My husband had pph and took aldactone and lasix and sometimes together when the retention was high and he was having trouble breathing.

Customer:

Her mother said she is a little girl, thin, looked like she did at 8 mos. pregnant.

Dr Brims :

I see, then she should request lasix if her blood pressure is normal, she may need to request it

Customer:

O.k., told her to call the doctor and ask for it, don't seem right to have that rapid of a gain, I know that they had me watching for that with him.

Dr Brims :

Yes, she needs to call her doctor and request it

Customer:

O.k, will let her know. Any other concerns or side effects from an ablation she should be aware of? I know she had some sort of reaction to the barium.

Dr Brims :

The main thing is for her to watch for any abnormal sensations in her heart and chest

Customer:

Ok, I will let her that too. Thank you for your time.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer:

Have a nice evening, thank you!

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future, you may request me by starting the question with "Dr Brims" and I will respond

Dr Brims :

Same to you

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

Ok, will do, I appreciate it. My name isXXXXX