Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

how do I stop taking simvastatin 40mg while also taking atenolol-chlorthalidone

how do I stop taking simvastatin 40mg while also taking atenolol-chlorthalidone 100-25. any side effects from stopping cold turkey

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : There are no adverse effects from just stopping simvastatin....
Anthony Bray MD : You may stop this medication without any need of tapering...
Anthony Bray MD : My concern for you would only be that of your potential need for the medication to reduce your cholesterol???

tapering? there would be no dramatic drop in blood pressure?

Anthony Bray MD : This medication mainly benefits patients with regard to reducing the LDL cholesterol or bad cholesterol and thus reduces risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack and stroke risk....
Anthony Bray MD : No, simvastatin does not affect your blood pressure but does affect cholesterol levels...

co q 10 should i start taking this supplement

Anthony Bray MD : I favor taking CoQ10 as this nutrient is in all cells and related to energy metabolism, it is in higher concentration in muscle and highest in the heart.... It has benefit to heart failure patients....
Anthony Bray MD : CoQ10 is depleted by statins some so supplementing is helpful....
Anthony Bray MD : it is also a great anti- oxidant!!
Anthony Bray MD : i take 100mg/ day myself!!
Anthony Bray MD : So I think CoQ10 is a great idea to take daily and more important if you take simvastatin but a good idea regardless...

what is your opinion

Anthony Bray MD : With regard to simvastatin?
Anthony Bray MD : as long as you have no adverse effects such as muscle pain or weakness then the statistics favor this medication strongly--- 30 to 40 percent reduction in heart attack risk and stroke risk ....

ok good thanks for your help

Anthony Bray MD : most cardiologists will take this or similar med whether truly indicated or not because they know the stats behind it.... It has some risk and drawback potentials but overall mortality rates are better on the med than off ....
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!
Anthony Bray MD : let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

I found that I was having side effects on zocor...since i have stopped all simptoms have stopped

Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : I see.... The most common is muscle pain or weakness and this affects about ten percent of patients....
Anthony Bray MD : there are other options to control high cholesterol as well...
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if I may be of further help to you!
Anthony Bray MD : Take care!!