Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I was with someone 20 years ago who had oral herpes. She avoided

I was with someone 20 years ago who had oral herpes. She avoided contact with me whenever she presented and I have never had any kind of outbreak. Is it possible I could be a carrier? My primary said there is no way to test that without any kind of lesion to test, but is there any way to be sure? My wife is concerned that I may expose her to the virus as her immune system is compromised due to diabetes and, more importantly, the health of my stepson is a concern. Any advice?

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

DR HASAN :

Theoretically speaking if you had any direct contact with that person (20yrs ago) while she had an outbreak specially, then yes you could be a carrier.

DR HASAN :

But practically speaking if you never had an outbreak in 20 yrs and if she avoided contact with you during her outbreaks then you are clean.

DR HASAN :

It's highly unlikely that you can have that virus dormant in you without an outbreak, specially when there is no history of contact.

DR HASAN :

Your doctor is right that he can test you if you have an active lesion.

DR HASAN :

In my opinion you should not stress yourself for this as you are not at risk of having oral herpes.

DR HASAN :

Please read my answer above and get back to me for any further query.

Customer: So with no outbreaks in 20 years...it's improbable that I have the virus, yes?
DR HASAN :

Yes and more importantly the absence of any history of contact during her outbreaks is reassuring.

DR HASAN :

because herpes spread mostly during outbreaks.

Customer: Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

I have one suggestion for you.

DR HASAN :

Ask your doctor if he can check your blood for herpes antibodies.

DR HASAN :

It's not always reliable but having a negative test can be further reassuring.

Customer: He said that test would only show that I'd been exposed, not if I have it.
DR HASAN :

Yes that's why i said that it's not accurate but let say if it's negative, it will be reassuring but don't worry, you don't have a single symptom or event pointing towards that fact that you can have herpes.

DR HASAN :

So please reassure your wife.

DR HASAN :

Good luck to your stepson too.

Customer: Thank you this will help a lot.
DR HASAN :

I wish you and your family, all the best, XXXXX XXXXX if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: Thank you so much.
DR HASAN :

:)