Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My wife had a hysterectomy on 5/31 of this year. About two

My wife had a hysterectomy on 5/31 of this year. About two days post operation, she noticed a protrusion on her lower left abdominal wall that had a blister in the center of it. The protrusion is still there but the blister has broken. Robotics were used in the operation and both ovaries and fallopian tubes were removed. Can you give us any answer as to the protrusion?

Greetings Jim.

Does the protrusion increases on coughing or sneezing?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just called my wife, Jan to ask her your question....and she said, "Yes, it does. I have to hold it in when I cough or sneeze."

Hello Jim,

This is likely to be an incisional hernia. A small incisional hernia may not need any treatment, though it is unsightly. But if it increases, it may need a surgery to repair and strengthen the abdominal wall.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. The protusion is not over the site of the robotic incision, but it is located right over where they had removed the left ovary. Any reason for the blister....about the size of a fingernail? Jan said the blister, although broken is not crusting over like a normal broken blister does. She said she is feeling sharp pain and sometimes pressure right around the blister.

Hello Jim,

The blister and protrusion is also likely due to a cautery burn (used for dissection and stopping bleeding), which can sometimes cause damage to the tissue. This may take 4-5 week to heal.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun