Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Picture

Dear Doctor Brims, I sent a picture of my nail toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX (email you had given me previously to use) as I was unable to upload it on here for some reason - the nail in question is on the other hand - can you tell me why a part of my tip is clear and a part is white? All my other nail tips are white - I noticed this nail in the morning that it had changed as such. Thanks!

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

Are you able to see the photos? Thanks.

Dr Brims :

yes, I am looking at it now

Dr Brims :

This may be a sign your nails are dry

Customer:

Is that it?

Customer:

Because the rest of the tips are white and this one was white too and now it is half-clear and half-white. Why would this happen overnight?

Dr Brims :

It could be the result of drying, and the clear area may have more moisture, that is it

Customer:

This is not a sign of pigment-change is it? Thanks.

Dr Brims :

No, it is not a sign of pigment change

Customer:

Thank you. How do I fix this?

Customer:

So basically the rest of my nail-tips are white - means they are all dry?

Dr Brims :

Yes, they are dry, which is normal, but when there is extra moisture they area becomes clearer

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Ok -

Customer:

any advice on how to fix this?

Customer:

meaning all the tips shld be clear NOT white- white means they are dry(er) - funny, girls always try to have whiter tips!

Customer:

i have to address something be right back.

Dr Brims :

Just use lotion regularly

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

Why would the change happen so quickly?

Dr Brims :

It may not have happened quickly, you likely just noticed it

Customer:

this may sound strange but i look at my nails daily - and have not worn nailpolish for about a month - so it did happen quickly, practically overnight - is that abnormal>?

Dr Brims :

No, it is not abnormal

Customer:

Ok thank you; if I have further questions on this topic I'll ask in this post. Thanks.

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience