Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Dear Sir/Madam, For a few times over the years I have developed

Dear Sir/Madam,
For a few times over the years I have developed skin rashes, which started as rashes on my lower extremities ie: on my legs below the calf. It has usually been the result of cold dry weather & dry skin brought on by I guess hot water and I am usually careful to now not use soap But soap alternatives such as sorblene. It's chronic and usually goes away eventually with the use of a 0.05% cortisone cream. In the last week as the weather's turned cold I have once again had this happen again as usual. This time however I started to some rashes on on the ribs on both sides and a spot on my back.i have now been applying moisturiser as well as kenacomb and while the rash is substantially reduced but tends to start to itch again in the evening. What should I do as I am currently on tour in New Zealand. This started a couple of days just before I left on the tour.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Thank you for your question,

Dr. Saha :

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Dr. Saha :

Did you get it checked by doctor when it occurred a few years back?

Dr. Saha :

How does the rash look like?

Dr. Saha :

Please enter your reply.

Dr. Saha :

Please write & click on reply.

Dr. Saha :

From your history it can be due to allergy or dermatitis.

Dr. Saha :

The response to kenacomb & cortisone creams suggests it.

Dr. Saha :

Both of them contains steroid.

Dr. Saha :

You can take an antihistamine orally.

Dr. Saha :

This can help with allergy & itching.

Dr. Saha :

Benadryl or zyrtec can be helpful.

Dr. Saha :

I would also suggest to get it checked by doctor when it has started in another place to rule out any other condition.

Dr. Saha :

You may be having difficulty in entering chat.

Dr. Saha :

I am changing to question & answer format.

Dr. Saha :

If you have any further query, please feel free to ask.

Customer:

G'. day Dr Saha, sort of small round bumps maybe 1-2 km in size, separated by about 5-10mm. No Blistering or weeping.

Customer:

BTW i already had chicken pox and measles when i was a kid.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for further information.

Just a few more queries.

Do you feel pain or only itching?

Is this rash similar to previous rashes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

very similar, usually disappears after about up to a week with cortisone cream. Just concerned as it seems to improve during the day but regressed at night i am applying the kenacomb morning and night. Will try antihistamine as you suggested as i have telfast here. It would be a problem to see a doctor at this stage as i am 3 days into a guided tour.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
This site around the ribs is a common site for shingles.

As you are aware that shingles can occur in those who had chicken pox.

It is good that there is no vesicle or blisters.

Again shingles rash usually appears on one side, yours on both side.

The rash is also responding to steroid application,

Rash can change in response to exposure to its inciting agent.

If you notice that it is getting worse, then you can try to visit a walk in clinic.

You can try to take the antihistamine in the evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so should i just continue with the tour as normal. How long should i try and take the anti histamine before seeing a dr? also it doesnˊt sound contagious does it dr?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
From your symptoms the rash does not seem to be due to Shingles.

Shingles virus can be transmitted by the fluid of the vesicles ( which you are not having) to persons who are not immune to it. But those would develop chicken pox not shingles.

However, as you can understand, it is difficult to say 100% without an examination.

You can take antihistamine 1-2 days to see the response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no pain, only itchy. Good in the morning. Itchy again by night fall.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

In shingles there is usually much pain.

Absence of pain & the presence of itching also suggests its allergic nature.

Another possibility is fungus where nystatin of kenacomb would help.

Fungal infection can occur under the chest areas in skin folds if you are obese.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Saha, I saw a Dr in Wellington about last Friday and he confirmed that this is not shingles. He felt that it was probably eczema and prescribed flucoxcillin and momethazone.

However these have not really seemed to have done much as I found the momethazone seems to make the rash more itchy, so I went back to the kenacomb. When I apply it in the night, the rash almost seems to go right down by morning but starts to become itchy again by late afternoon. Applying more steriod cream at this point doesn't seem to help. Still going on with the treatment but no marked improvement.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow up.

As mometasone is making the symptoms worse, it is likely not working here.

All medicine may not have the same effect & you can be allergic to its ingredient.

Allergy, dermatitis & eczema are related.

It can need repeated & long treatment.

I would suggest to take an evaluation by a dermatologist.