Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am 36 years old an have had pain in my left achilles most

I am 36 years old an have had pain in my left achilles most mornings for a year now caused by playing tennis. It gets better 30 minutes after I wake up. I have not really exercised since then but am trying to get back in shape and I really want to run or do crossfit preferably in the morning (6am). Is there something I can do on my own or do I absolutely need to go see a doctor before I start exercising.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.

The conditions to consider for your symptoms are;

1) Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation 2) Retrocalcaneal bursitis; bursa are fluid filled sac (pocket like structures) for smooth movement of the tendon, which can get inflamed and termed bursitis. 3) Plantar fasciitis; heel has got a soft tissue underneath called as plantar fascia, inflammation of which is called plantar fasciitis. 4) Calcaneal periostitis; heel bone inflammation 5) Calcaneal spurs; wear and tear arthritis forms small bone growth.

The treatment is almost same for all these conditions with the minor variations. Following may help you;

1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

3) Local analgesic ointment /spray

4) Physical therapy

5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.

6) Consideration of steroid shot

7) Shock wave therapy

8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear

There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective. Shock wave therapy is available in sport medicine clinics or physical therapy clinics. This too is suppose to help in the resistant cases.

You may try 1-4 at home initially. Here is a link for the home exercises;

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/stretches-for-achilles-tendon-problems

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So is it safe to say I have one of the 5 described symptoms? Given that this has been going on for a year, should I go directly to a Doctor to have x-rays done and offcially find out what the problem is? Or should I try the at home remedies first? And if I exercised as I described, will I cause more injury, I am 40lbs overweight and really need to exercise?

Hello Sergio Felix,

Ideally any problem which has been persisting for an year should be evaluated by a doctor for pin pointing the diagnosis. With your symptoms, though, a trial of home treatment for 5-7 days is not likely to cause any significant aggravation of the issue. You may do the home measures for 3 days and if you do not feel better or the pain increases, you may seek a doctor's appointment. If the symptoms decrease by the home measures, you may continue them.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine