Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

How dangerous is pond and lake water (in terms of bacteria?)

How dangerous is the water in terms of the average U.S. pond or lake?  Enough to cause severe eye infections?

Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : While most people may swim on a pond or lake without complications--- there is an increased risk of infections there vs a chlorinated pool for example ....
Anthony Bray MD : The most serious potential is from certain amoeba that can access the nose and infect the brain and may be fatal. There are usually a small number of these annually in the US
Customer:

Right

Customer:

Amoeba was what I was thinking about

Customer:

Amoeba and bacteria affecting the eyes and other organs

Anthony Bray MD : Infections of the eye ---conjunctivitis is common -- much more common but much less serious...
Anthony Bray MD : For this reason I personally favor lakes for fishing or at most wading but pools for swimming!!!
Anthony Bray MD : the statistical risk is not that great but risk of infections are much greater vs the pools that are treated...
Customer:

OK

Customer:

Well, I'm afraid the contact with lake water already happened

Customer:

How long can the germs and amoeba survive out of water?

Customer:

1 week? 1 month?

Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Wait, how long can bacteria and amoeba survive out of the lake?

Anthony Bray MD : No an infection would develop within about three days if at all...
Customer:

OK, but there was lake water on clothing, and that hasn't been washed since (weeks ago)

Anthony Bray MD : The survival would depend on the species and the environment of course but I would say that for the vast majority if you go three days without signs if trouble then you would be safe....
Anthony Bray MD : No bacteria would not survive that long on clothing....
Customer:

Amoebas probably wouldn't survive that long either right?

Anthony Bray MD : Right....they would not survive long out of water...
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice