Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Live bug in stool!

I have been diagnosed with an unknown parasite. This morning I saw a light brown live bug crawl out of my stool. It was about 1/4 inch long and had legs and antennas. I know it should be impossible, but I literally watched it crawl out of the stool with my own eyes. I saved it for my doctor to see. What could it be? I have also noticed clear thin worms about the same size. Help!!

(I have a picture of it if you need it.)

Hello JACUSTOMER-ya6jbf22,

In my opinion you should undergo a stool routine and microscopic examination to identify the ova or cyst of the parasite and rourine test like CBC and AEC.

Eosinophilia may be noted in such conditions.

Due to the wide variety of intestinal parasites, a description rarely are sufficient for diagnosis.

Anthelmintics or antihelminthics are drugs that expel parasitic worms (helminths) from the body like Albendazole or Mebendazole and are commonly prescribed for such conditions.

Here is a link for further reading

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0301/p1161.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have had my stool tested for parasites twice and both time tests were positive, but the parasite was listed as unknown. The doctor thought it was a protozoa. I am going back today to get some medication.

The "live insect" in my stool (it had antennas and legs!) is the most baffling to me. I really would love to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Usually anti helminthic drugs are prescribed and is common treatment for most parasites.

So go ahead with the treatment.

I have a patient in my practice who have reported passing live worm in the stool but was cured after the course of anti helminthic medicines.