Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I burned the inside of my forearm (just below the elbow) pretty

I burned the inside of my forearm (just below the elbow) pretty badly on a hot cookie sheet 9 days ago. I kept it bandaged, clean, etc. but it was continuing to ooze and had a lot of swelling/redness spreading down my arm a few days later, so I was diagnosed with cellulitis. My doctor gave me Bactrim and a topic silver sulfadiazine cream to start on about 5 days ago (I'm on pill 8 out of 14). The redness & swelling is now mostly restricted to the actual burn itself, but now I have itchy red bumps that are around the edge of the burn and extend about an inch out from it. Is this a normal symptom for a healing significant burn, or residual symptoms of the cellulitis? I really don't want to have to take off time from work to go see my doctor and find out that it's not a big deal, but I also don't want to wait too long if it means that the antibiotic isn't clearning up the infection. Thanks...
Greetings.

My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Is it possible for you to attach a photo here. You can do it by clicking the paper clip icon.

Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't really get the bumps to show up well in the picture, but you can see a little bit around the right/bottom edges of the burn.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It won't let me attach a photo. It keeps saying that I don't have permission to view the page through this server, yet I can send text replies...

Hello Abby,

You may send the pictures to a file sharing site like mediafire.com and paste the link here.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ugh, I'm having all kinds of technological difficulties tonight. I guess I'll try using my work computer to do this in the morning. Sorry.

Okay Abby. You may continue in the morning.

We can discuss this further if you can describe the bumps; are the fluid filled and what is the size?

Thank you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as I can tell, they are not any type of blister-type bumps. They look more like goosebumps, except red and itchy.I was thinking that it might be a heat rash from keeping my arm bandaged but the nurse at my school said it didn't look like that to her. Could it maybe be an allergic reaction to the silver cream? (I developed a nickel allergy shortly after the first time I took Bactrim in high school, but not a sulpha allergy.)

Hello Abby,

Your symptoms are suggestive of mild allergy to the silver sulphadizine which causes a delayed reaction (called delayed hypersensitivity). You may stop it and consult your doctor, so he can prescribe you other local application cream. If the doctor's appointment take some time, you may apply Betadine cream, meanwhile, which is available without prescription.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Would it be a bad idea to try putting hydrocortisone cream on it? The burn seems to be covered over with new skin now, just a lot of itchy bumps. Should I go back to see my doctor next week (he's out of town this week) or just wait and see how it heals?

You are very welcome, Abby.

Hydrocortisone is usually avoided on or around burn wound. This is a self limiting allergy and resolves with discontinuation of the silver sulphadizine. Consulting your doctor next would be recommended if this does not abate completely.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun