Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

Earlier today I injured my little finger when it became trapped

Earlier today I injured my little finger when it became trapped under a handle. I placed it in ice for 15mins and there is little pain now, just aches a bit. The finger in aligned correctly and it has full motion but at the joint there is now a swollen bump that is painless even when pressed. It does not move and the joint feels stable. What is this? Should I go see a doctor and check this out or leave it for a week and see if swelling goes down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long back this happened?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Did you bleed from finger?
Do you have associated fever?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It happened 4 hours ago. No bleeding, in fact no bruise just a fairly large bump at the joint. No fever. Pain at time was a good 5 but now a 1.

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

It is good to hear that there was no bruise or bleeding.
It is possible that you may be having soft tissue injury. Other possibility is small tendon injury
You can use liquid betadine solution to clean the area. This would prevent any infection.Take tab Motrin 400 mg twice a day.

You should Use ice packs on affected part for approximately 15-20 minutes, and repeat it every two hours. This would resolve large bump in next 3-4 days.
Most likely in one week, you would be free from symptoms.

You can use ice packs, and just use wait and watch approach for 1 week.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK, thank you. I took celebrex as I have some incase of my back. Would this do as I do not have motrin.

I thought it might have dislocated but popped back into place immediately and the bump was liquid escaping from joint or cartilage moving or something alike? I figured this would mean a trip to the doctor for sure. To be clear there's no chance it's something like that? I ask as it's weird the bump doesn't hurt when pressed?

Justin, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Celebrex contains celecoxib and it belongs to a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It reduces inflammation and pain in the body. Yes, this would be helpful for your condition.
You can safely take this pill.

As finger is completely aligned and has full motion, so i would not panic for any serious issue.
As such there doesn't sound to be any leakage of fluid.
It can be due to inflammation, yes it can be painless sometimes.
Please don't take stress. It would get resolve with ice packs. You can safely wait for 1 week.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert