Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

On Feb 14th I had a laproscopic procedure to repair an incisional

On Feb 14th I had a laproscopic procedure to repair an incisional hernia in the middle of my torso. My bowel was nicked and sepsis took hold. Three additional surgeries (open) were needed to repair the damage, replace the new mesh, another ten year old mesh, and clean out the infection. After 4 weeks in the hospital I returned home with three rather large open wounds. Ten days later I went to the ER and a rather large (widow maker was the description) embolism was found. Four months later, not only do I have a grossly disfigured mid section and a belly button that has shifted about an inch to the left, but I am having an incredible 7 to 8/10 pain on the left side just above the belt line. Can you tell me what the norm is on the pain? Should it have subsided by now? When I get out of bed in the morning or stand after sitting for a few minutes, I cannot stand up straight because of the pain. After a minute I can stand straight up, but the pain is significant. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Hello Owen,

My name isXXXXX and I will be helping you today

I am sorry about your sever pain.

Did a CT scan ascertained the cause of pain?
Where is the pain exactly situated?
Do you have bloating, gas, constipation, nausea, weight loss, loss of appetite?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sir, a CT scan was not ordered. The surgeon insist that the pain will eventually subside, though he has not given me any reason to believe this to be the case.

The pain runs along my waist, slightly above my pants. It seems to be more painful on the right side of my relocated belly button in a lump of what is now excess skin as a result of them not closing me up. I continued to clean and pack the wounds twice daily after discharge.

I have no other symptoms that I can tell. I generally do not feel well right now but cannot put my finger on anything other than this area and that I am constantly run down.

For the record, I am active duty military stationed in California and our medical center is a teaching facility.

Hello Owen,

I am so sorry for the significant pain?

Can you talk to your doctors to get an MRI of the mid back (thoracic spine) and CT scan of the abdomen?

Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will need to schedule an appointment with my primary care physician and request the exams. Military medicine is challenging, but I will ask the question.

Thank you for your assistance, I appreciate it greatly.

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your kind words.

Your pain around the waist / pant line is suggestive of pinched nerves in mid back. An MRI of the area with the nerve conduction velocity test would diagnose it. Physical therapy, deep electrotherapy and acupuncture are the treatment.

CT scan would diagnose the seroma or related condition which can be drained out for the cure and is likely to be responsible for the recurrent discharge around the belly button / abdominal surgical scar.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.